REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program. Read everything below and you will get to the one section that indicates what information to email us now. Do not email anything UNLESS it is specifically asked for! Read everything on this page before doing anything further.
1. You must be in an emergency situation such as fleeing from a domestic violence situation or coming straight from homelessness or your furnishings were destroyed by fire. Anyone who will be living in the apartment or home must qualify for our assistance.
2. We use the government definition of homelessness and have included a summary of that at the bottom of this page. Please make sure you qualify with that definition or we can't help. Staying with friends or relatives may not be sufficient but we will evaluate everything regarding your situation.
3. Email us any questions regarding whether your situation would qualify you as homeless for our purposes.
4. Please only apply if you can provide proof of your reason for homelessness. For example: domestic violence (legal proceedings, staying at domestic violence shelter etc.) or fire damage (fire report) or homelessness (staying at homeless shelter etc).
5. We can't assist if the furniture needs to be replaced as a result of bed bugs.
6. We can't assist if you are behind on any of your utility bills. This includes your current bill or any past due bill from a prior residence. If moving into a new residence and are responsible for paying DTE, the account must have been switched into your name.
7. We also can't assist if all move in costs have not been paid at your new residence or for your current rent (and you must be living in Wayne or Oakland County, Michigan).
8. Please note again Requirement #9 on Who Can We Help? page. We require you to be either earning income from employment or receiving state or federal assistance for a disability of yours (not for your child).
9. Please note we do NOT help with appliances. Only furniture.
10. PLEASE SEND US, BY EMAIL, THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS AND WE WILL BE BACK IN TOUCH. ONLY ANSWER THE FOLLOWING. NOTHING MORE PLEASE. DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTS OR ATTACHMENTS. IN YOUR EMAIL TYPE A. AND THEN ANSWER WHAT IS REQUESTED FOR A. BELOW AND THEN THE SAME FOR B. ETC. UNTIL YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL THAT IS REQUESTED. EMAIL US BY CLICKING HERE: Here to Help Foundation
You MUST include ALL of the following information:
A. Your name, date of birth, phone number, current address (and address of where you will be moving if that is different) and that you are interested in the Home Sweet Home program. Please also answer who referred you to Here to Help or how you found out about us.
Please also provide the date you will be moving into your residence or the date you did move in.
B. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page.
C. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the above "Requirements for Assistance" for the Home Sweet Home program.
D. Please also provide information regarding why you need help with furniture and why you cannot afford to purchase your own furniture.
E. Please list all sources of income for your entire household AND the specific amounts received from each source on a monthly basis. If your income is from wages, please state your net income per month (take home pay). Please state where your income comes from (employment or disability or other governmental benefits etc.) If working, what is the name of your employer. Also, please note Requirement #8 above as you must be working or receiving disability benefits for yourself (not on behalf of your children).
F. Please state how much is your rent (or how much it will be when you move in) and how will that total amount rent be paid for each month (wages or disability or rent subsidy etc.).
G. Please list the specific amounts and names for of ALL your monthly bills/expenses that you pay each month (for example: rent, food, phone, heat, gas, water, electricity, cable, day care, medical costs, loan payments, toiletries, transportation costs, clothing etc.) DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING OUT! We cannot provide a second chance for you to add or remove information from what you tell us now. If you receive benefits to cover any of your expenses (for example food benefits, child support etc) then please indicate that information.
All our furniture is purchased through Al’s Furniture & Appliances in Detroit. The maximum amount is $840.00 (which allows for a mattress, box spring and frame, a couch, a dining room table with two chairs and one lamp. Other items can be substituted if requested).
If all of this is provided, and we feel you meet ALL the Requirements, we will email you the Application questions and list of required documents. Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.
Also, make sure you have read in detail Requirement #9 on the Who Can We Help? Page.
DEFINITION OF HOMELESSNESS:
A homeless individual is one who is staying at a homeless shelter or non-permanent housing (i.e. rehab center, hospital, certain transitional housing, coming from prison with no housing situation to return to etc.) or is living on the streets or in an abandoned building or a vehicle or in any other unstable situation.
Please note: An individual may be considered to be homeless if they are without a stable home and are staying with a series of friends and/or family members but we will have to receive a lot of information about that situation and determine if it meets our requirement of homelessness. It is difficult for us to supply furniture to everyone who is simply moving into a new residence and leaving the home of family members.