REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program. Read everything below and you will get to the one section that indicates what information to email us.
1. You must be in an emergency situation such as fleeing from a domestic violence situation or coming from homelessness, or prison or your furnishings were destroyed by fire.
2. We use the government definition of homelessness and have included a summary of that at the bottom of this page.
3. Any adult who, along with you, will be living in the apartment or house must qualify for our assistance.
4. Please only apply if you can provide proof of your reason for homelessness. For example: domestic violence (legal proceedings, staying at domestic violence shelter etc.) or fire damage (fire report) or homelessness (staying at homeless shelter etc).
5. We are prohibited from assisting if furniture needs to be replaced as a result of bed bugs.
6. We can't assist if you are behind on any of your utility bills, including any past due bill from a prior residence.
7. All move in costs/rent/security deposit must have been paid to landlord.
8. Please note Requirement #9 on Who Can We Help? page. We require you to be either earning income from employment or receiving state or federal assistance for a disability of yours (not for your child).
9. Please note we do not help with appliances. If you are a returning citizen then see that program's page on our website as appliances are covered through that program.
10. PLEASE SEND US, BY EMAIL, THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS AND WE WILL BE BACK IN TOUCH PROMPTLY.
IN YOUR EMAIL YOU MUST TYPE A. AND THEN TYPE YOUR ANSWER FOR WHAT IS REQUESTED FOR A.
AND THEN THE SAME FOR B. ETC. UNTIL YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL THAT IS REQUESTED FROM A THROUGH G.
IT WORKS BEST TO COPY AND PASTE THE QUESTIONS BELOW INTO AN EMAIL AND THEN ANSWER. EMAIL US BY CLICKING HERE: Here to Help Foundation
You MUST include ALL of the following information:
A. Please provide your name, date of birth, phone number, current address (and address of where you will be moving if that is different) and that you are interested in the Home Sweet Home program.
Please also answer who referred you to Here to Help or how you found out about us.
Please also provide the date you will be moving into your residence or the date you did move in.
B. Please confirm you have read and you meet ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page.
C. Please confirm you have read and you meet ALL the above "Requirements for Assistance" for the Home Sweet Home program.
D. Please provide information regarding why you cannot afford to purchase your own furniture and please list any furniture you currently have.
Please also answer what happened to any furniture at your most recent residence.
E. Please list all sources of income, including all governmental benefits, for your entire household and the specific amounts received from each source on a monthly basis.
If your income is from wages, please state your net income per month (take home pay).
If your are working, what is the name of your employer?
F. Please state how much is your rent (or how much it will be when you move in) and how will rent be paid for each month (wages or disability or rent subsidy etc.).
G. Please list the names of each of your monthly expenses AND the specific amount of each expense per month. This would be for ALL your bills/expenses that you pay each month (for example: rent, food, phone, heat, gas, water, electricity, cable, day care, medical costs, loan payments, toiletries, transportation costs, clothing etc.) Do not leave anything out as we cannot provide a second chance for you to add or remove information from what you tell us now. If you receive benefits to cover any of your expenses (for example food benefits) then please indicate how much your receive and how much, if anything, you personally pay for that expense.
All our furniture is new and purchased through Al’s Furniture & Appliances in Detroit. The maximum amount is $860.00 which allows for one full mattress, box spring and frame, a couch, a dining room table with two chairs, a nightstand and one lamp. Other items can be substituted if requested.
If all of this is provided, and we feel you meet ALL the Requirements, we will email you a few more questions and list of required documents. Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.
DEFINITION OF HOMELESSNESS:
A homeless individual is one who is staying at a homeless shelter or non-permanent housing (i.e. rehab center, hospital, certain transitional housing, coming from prison with no housing situation to return to etc.) or is living on the streets or in an abandoned building or a vehicle or in any other unstable situation.
Please note: An individual may be considered to be homeless if they are without a stable home and are staying with a series of friends and/or family members but we will have to receive information about that situation and determine if it meets our requirement of homelessness. It is difficult for us to supply furniture to everyone who is simply moving into a new residence and leaving the home of family members.