REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program.
1. We can help with:
A. Past due rent or first month's rent if you can document that your future rent will be able to be paid.
You must show, through documentation, that your wages from your job or governmental benefits or other sources will be enough to cover future rent and all you other monthly expenses. We can't accept that you hope to get get a job or you have applied for benefits or that you have a job offer. We can only consider what you are receiving right now. If you are not working and are not receiving disability benefits, we need to know why you are not.
B. Security Deposit: We can only assist with a security deposit if you are either working or you are disabled and receiving disability benefits. You must be able to show why you can't afford the deposit at the present time. We will help up to $500.00 for a security deposit. Do not apply at present if you do not have the remainder owed above $500.00.
We only help in emergency situations so it must be shown that your situation is an emergency. If you are moving from a relative or friend's home to a new residence it may not be considered an emergency. We will look at everything but we will have to get a detailed answer on the reasons for your moving and why this is now an emergency.
2. The maximum amount we can help with (in total) is $750.00 toward first month's rent or back rent. Do not apply at present if you owe more than $750.00 and you do not have other sources that have committed to paying this additional amount. Reapply in the future if your balance is $750.00 or less.
3. Since State Emergency Relief (SER) may be able to assist you, before applying with us you MUST have an SER response to your CURRENT situation. Not a request from months back. For back rent, SER will require a Court Summons (notice to appear in Court) from your landlord or a Court Judgement for Eviction for you to apply. For help with Security Deposit there are other requirements to apply for an SER. They can be found here by clicking here: Michigan SER Assistance. Again, only contact us if you have a response from SER.
4. You must currently be a resident of Wayne or Oakland County and you must be moving to a residence within one of those two counties and we can only accept your Driver's License or State Issued ID for proof.
5. Please do not apply if any of your utility bills are past due. If you can show that past due utility bills are about to be paid by you or another organization then you can proceed further. However, we will need documentation that the outstanding utility bills have been completely paid before we can make a final decision on your request.
6. Okay, you are almost done. Once you read requirement #7 below then you must send an email with all of the following to Email at Here to Help
You MUST include ALL of the following specific information:
A. Your name, phone number and that you are interested in the Roof Over Head program. Please also answer who referred you to Here to Help or how you found out about us.
B. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page.
C. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the "Requirements for Assistance" for the Roof Over Head program.
D. Please state how much is owed in total and how any amount of our maximum amount will be paid. See above more maximum amounts.
E. What was the response of SER? A reply is required. See Requirement #3 above.
F. Please also provide just a couple of sentences as to what has caused your emergency situation, what you need help with (back rent, security deposit or first month's rent) and the amount needed. Please also indicate how you will be able to pay your rent moving forward and why you are unable to pay your rent (or security deposit/move in costs if that is what you are requesting) at the present time. Please state the amount of your monthly income. Just this information only as we are simply seeing if you meet the basic requirements for us to send you an Application.
For any Roof Over Head request, please make sure you have read the requirements as stated in requirement #1 (at the top of this page) regarding working as well as disability payments. Please make sure you qualify.
Do not provide any more information than that which is requested above. If all of this specific information is provided we will email you our Application questions and the list of required documents. Please check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up in there.
7. Again, for us to be able to help, you must be able to show that you will be able to pay your rent in the future. We're looking at the big picture. We can't help with this month's rent if future rent won't be timely paid. Lastly if it is nearer to the end of the month we may require seeing that next month's rent is paid before we can assist.
Also, make sure you have read in detail Requirement #8 on the Who Can We Help? Page.