REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
FIRST READ ALL THE GENERAL REQUIREMENTS ON THE WHO CAN WE HELP PAGE. YOU MUST MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below. Please note our maximum grant for a Security Deposit is $500 and for back rent is $750.00. DO NOT APPLY NOW UNLESS YOU HAVE EVERYTHING OWED ABOVE OUR MAXIMUM.
Read everything below and you will get to the one section that indicates what information to email us now.
1. Past due rent or first month's rent:
Your current income must be enough to cover future rent and all you other monthly expenses. Please note Requirement #9 on the Who Can We Help? page.
Do not apply for past due rent assistance if you are unable to pay the next month's rent when it it due.
Only your name can be on the lease.
2. If you are moving and need Security Deposit help or first month's rent, please only apply AFTER all you have been approved to move in and only need to pay Security Deposit and/or First Month rent. If you have Section 8 or other rent assistance, only apply AFTER the inspection has been passed.
3. Security Deposit:
You must be able to show why you can't afford the deposit at the present time or can't save for it. We only help with security deposit OR rent. Not both. Also, don't apply for a Security Deposit unless you have all the money for first month's rent and other moving costs.
4. If you are moving from having lived with a relative or at a friend's home to a new residence, it is not something we can assist with since the applicant should be able to save for a security deposit or rent in that situation.
5. Since State Emergency Relief (SER) may be able to assist you if you have a Court Summons, Order or Judgment of Eviction or your are homeless. Information can be found by clicking here: Michigan SER Assistance. If you have a Court Order or are Homeless, then only contact us if you have a response from SER.
6. If you missed work and fell behind in rent, we must see that you've now returned to work for at least one pay period of full time employment.
7. Please note, if it is nearer to the end of the month we may require seeing that next month's rent is paid before we can assist.
8. PLEASE NOTE WE CAN'T BECOME INVOLVED UNLESS, WITH OUR HELP, THE BALANCE OWED WILL BE ZERO. THERE CAN BE NO ARRANGEMENT OF A PAYMENT PLAN WITH THE LANDLORD FOR ANYTHING ELSE OWED OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF ARRANGEMENT AS THE BALANCE MUST GET TO ZERO WITH OUR PAYMENT. AGAIN, ONLY APPLY IF, RIGHT NOW YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY EVERYTHING OWED ABOVE OUR MAXIMUM. OTHERWISE DO NOT APPLY NOW.
9. We can't assist if if you are moving and owe rent money to your current landlord. We also can't help with rent or a security deposit if your current utilities are past due or a utility bill from a prior residence remains overdue.
10. PLEASE SEND US, BY EMAIL, THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS AND WE WILL BE BACK IN TOUCH. ONLY ANSWER THE FOLLOWING. NOTHING MORE PLEASE. DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTS OR ATTACHMENTS.
IN YOUR EMAIL REPLY, YOU MUST TYPE THE LETTER A. AND THEN ANSWER WHAT IS REQUESTED FOR A. AND THEN DO THE SAME FOR B. ETC. UNTIL YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL THAT IS REQUESTED FROM A through I. YOU MUST FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS OR WE CAN'T REVIEW YOUR REQUEST.
EMAIL US BY CLICKING HERE: Here to Help Foundation
You MUST include ALL of the following specific information:
A. Your name, phone number, address, date of birth and answer who referred you to us or how you found out about Here to Help. If moving please provide current address and address of where moving.
B. Please include in your email that you are interested in the ROOF OVER HEAD program and state whether it is for back rent, Security Deposit of first month's rent.
C. Please state you have read and you meet ALL of our General Requirements as listed on the Who Can We Help page.
D. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the "Requirements for Assistance" for the ROOF OVER HEAD program.
E. Please state how much is owed in total right now and for what. If for back rent, please state what month or months is the back rent owed for and state whether current month of rent has been paid. If for deposit or first month's rent, indicate how much for each one.
Please also answer how any amount above our maximum amount for rent or security deposit, as stated above, will be paid. Again, it is premature to apply for our help if any amount more than our maximum is not already covered by you or another resource.
F. If you are homeless or have received a Summons, Court Judgment or Eviction Order, what was the response of SER? See Requirement #5 above.
G. Please also provide detailed information as to what has caused your emergency situation and the amount needed. Please indicate why you are unable to pay your rent (or security deposit/move in costs if that is what you are requesting) at the present time and will be able to pay in the future. If for back rent, please indicate which months are owed for and whether you have will have rent money to pay on the first of the month for next month.
H. Please state the amount of your net monthly income if working (a four week period and after taxes, deductions etc. and you must have been working the prior four weeks) or the amount of your disability payments etc. PLEASE BE ACCURATE AS WE CAN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND OPPORTUNITY. Please also indicate the amounts of any food assistance, child support, rent assistance etc. If working, please state where you are working.
I. Please list the names and amounts for all of your monthly expenses/bills and the specific amount for each of your monthly expenses/bills. For example: rent, food (what you pay and not what food assistance pays) phone, heat, gas, water, electricity, cable, transportation costs, day care, medical costs, loan payments, toiletries, clothing etc.) DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING OUT! PROVIDE THE TOTAL AMOUNT FOR EVERYTHING. WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROVIDE YOU A SECOND CHANCE TO CHANGE ANY OF WHAT YOU TELL US NOW. INCLUDE EVERYTHING. If one or more of your bills is paid not per month but, for example, every six months (like car insurance or a water bill) then let us know the amount and how often it is paid.
Do not provide any more information than that which is requested above and we will reply.
Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.
Also, make sure you have read in detail Requirement #9 on the Who Can We Help? Page.