REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
FOR THE FIRST TIME, SINCE WE OPENED IN 2007, WE WILL BE TAKING A SHORT BREAK AND THIS WILL BE THROUGH APRIL 4TH. PLEASE DO NOT SEND AN EMAIL AT PRESENT, AS YOUR EMAIL WILL NOT BE READ AND WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE DELETED FROM OUR SYSTEM. PLEASE EMAIL US THE REQUIRED INFORMATION ON OR AFTER APRIL 4TH. SEE BELOW FOR ALL INFORMATION. THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below, for past due rent or move in costs etc. to make sure you qualify for this program. Please note only your name can be on the lease. Also, do not apply for a Security Deposit if you currently owe rent at your current residence.
Read everything below and you will get to the one section that indicates what information to email us now. Do not email anything UNLESS it is specifically asked for! Read everything on this page before doing anything further.
1. Past due rent or first month's rent:
Your current income must be enough to cover future rent and all you other monthly expenses. We can't accept that you hope to get get a job or you have applied for benefits or that you have a job offer or that you are awaiting a first pay stub. We can only consider what you are currently receiving and what you can show right now by a pay stub or benefits statement. Please note Requirement #9 on the Who Can We Help? page.
2. If you are moving, only contact us AFTER you have found a place that has accepted you to move in and all you need is the move in costs to be paid.
For back rent or move in costs, everyone in the household must qualify for help if they are over 18 years of age. For example, a 20 year old child that is living at home would also have to meet all requirements as they would also be benefiting from any grant provided.
3. Security Deposit:
You must be able to show why you can't afford the deposit at the present time or can't save for it. We will help up to $500.00 for a security deposit. Do not apply at present if you do not have the remainder owed above $500.00. We only help with security deposit OR rent. Not both. Please also make certain you meet Requirement #9 on the Who Can We Help? page.
Again, only contact us AFTER you have found a place that has accepted you to move in and all you need is the move in costs to be paid.
4. We only help in emergency situations so it must be shown that your situation is an emergency. If you are moving from a relative or friend's home or parents home to a new residence it may not be considered an emergency. We will look at everything but we will have to get a detailed answer on the reasons for your moving and why this is now an emergency.
5. Do not apply at present if you owe more than our maximum $750.00 for rent or $500 for Security Deposit unless you have other sources that have committed to paying the additional amount over our maximum. Reapply in the future if your balance is at or below our maximum. We only help with a security deposit OR rent. Not both.
6. Since State Emergency Relief (SER) may be able to assist you, before request help with us you MUST have an SER response to your CURRENT situation. Information can be found here by clicking here: Michigan SER Assistance. Again, only contact us if you have a response from SER.
7. You must currently be a resident of Wayne or Oakland County. You must be moving to a residence within one of those two counties and we can only accept your Driver's License or State Issued ID for proof.
8. Please note, if it is nearer to the end of the month we may require seeing that next month's rent is paid before we can assist. PLEASE NOTE WE CAN'T BECOME INVOLVED UNLESS WITH OUR HELP THE BALANCE OWED WILL BE ZERO. THERE CAN BE NO ARRANGEMENT OF A PAYMENT PLAN WITH THE LANDLORD FOR ANYTHING ELSE OWED OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF ARRANGEMENT AS THE BALANCE MUST GET TO ZERO WITH OUR PAYMENT.
9. Please do not apply if any of your utility bills are past due. We can't help with rent or a security deposit if your current utilities are past due or a bill from a prior residence remains overdue.
10. PLEASE SEND US, BY EMAIL, THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS AND WE WILL BE BACK IN TOUCH. ONLY ANSWER THE FOLLOWING. NOTHING MORE PLEASE. DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTS OR ATTACHMENTS. IN YOUR EMAIL TYPE A. AND THEN ANSWER WHAT IS REQUESTED FOR A. BELOW AND THEN THE SAME FOR B. ETC. UNTIL YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL THAT IS REQUESTED. EMAIL US BY CLICKING HERE: Here to Help Foundation
You MUST include ALL of the following specific information:
A. Your name, phone number, address, date of birth and answer who referred you to us or how you found out about Here to Help. If moving please provide current address and address of where moving.
B. Please include in your email that you are interested in the ROOF OVER HEAD program.
C. You must also indicate that you have read and you meet ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page.
D. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the "Requirements for Assistance" for the ROOF OVER HEAD program.
E. Please state how much is owed in total and how any amount above our maximum amount for rent or security deposit, stated above, will be paid. Again, it is premature to apply for our help if any amount more than our maximum is not already covered by you or another resource.
F. What was the response of SER? A reply is required. See Requirement #6 above.
G. Please also provide just a couple of sentences as to what has caused your emergency situation, what you need help with (back rent, security deposit or first month's rent) and the amount needed. Please also indicate how you will be able to pay your rent moving forward and why you are unable to pay your rent (or security deposit/move in costs if that is what you are requesting) at the present time. Include whether you are receiving any rent assistance.
H. Please state the amount of your net monthly income (a four week period and after taxes, deductions etc). Also, please state where this income comes from (wages from employment, disability benefits etc.). Make sure you state the amount per month/four weeks (not per paycheck).
I. Please list the name and amount of all your monthly expenses (for example: rent, food, phone, heat, gas, water, electricity, cable, transportation costs, day care, medical costs, loan payments, toiletries, clothing etc.) DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING OUT! PROVIDE THE TOTAL AMOUNT FOR EVERYTHING. If one or more of your bills is paid not per month but, for example, every six months (like car insurance or a water bill) then let us know the amount and how often it is paid.
Just this information only as we are simply seeing if you meet the basic requirements for us to send you an Application.
Do not provide any more information than that which is requested above.
If all of this is provided, and we feel you meet ALL the Requirements, we will email you the Application questions and list of required documents. Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.
Please note: At times we are swamped with reviewing Applications and cannot accept any more until we are caught up. We will advise you by email if this is one of those times.
Also, make sure you have read in detail Requirement #9 on the Who Can We Help? Page.