REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE FROM OUR ROOF OVER HEAD PROGRAM AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
FIRST READ ALL THE GENERAL REQUIREMENTS ON THE WHO CAN WE HELP PAGE. YOU MUST MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below. Please note our maximum grant for a Security Deposit is $500 and for first month rent, back rent or mortgage it is $750.00. We do not assist with Hotel/Motel bills. DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU PRESENTLY HAVE EVERYTHING OWED ABOVE OUR MAXIMUM. WE CAN ONLY HELP WITH RENT OR SECURITY DEPOSIT. NOT BOTH. AND IF YOU APPLY FOR SECURITY DEPOSIT THEN YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE FIRST MONTH RENT COVERED AND VISA VERSA.
Read everything below and you will get to the one section that indicates what information to email us now.
1. Past due rent or first month's rent or security deposit:
Your current income must be enough to cover future rent and all you other monthly expenses. Please note Requirement #8 on the Who Can We Help? page. As you can see with that Requirement, your job cannot be through a staffing agency or temp service. That job may turn into a permanent position, which is great and we hope to help when the time comes you become a permanent employee.
2. If you are moving and need Security Deposit help or first month's rent, please only apply after you have been approved to move in (and only need to pay Security Deposit and/or First Month rent).
3. If you are moving, please do not apply until you have been approved by the landlord or property management company as a tenant and you are ready to move in except you need assistance with move in costs.
4. If you are to receive rental assistance (i.e. Section 8) , please do not apply until such time as the residence has been approved by the resource that will be providing you rental assistance. Only apply after the residence has passed inspection. Also, we usually are unable to assist with move in costs for someone moving from their family home into their first residence given these applicants can live at home until having saved for move in costs.
5. State Emergency Relief (SER) may be able to assist if you have a Court Summons or Judgement in place or if you need help with a security deposit or first month rent. So please have a reply from SER before contacting us for help. Information can be found by clicking here: Michigan SER Assistance.
6. Again: Please note our maximum grant for a Security Deposit is $500 and for rent or mortgage it is $750.00. DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU PRESENTLY HAVE EVERYTHING OWED ABOVE OUR MAXIMUM. IF YOU OWE BACK RENT, THEN ANYTHING YOU OWE ABOVE OUR MAXIMUM SHOULD BE PAID BEFORE YOU APPLY. WE CAN ONLY HELP WITH RENT OR SECURITY DEPOSIT. NOT BOTH.
Also, be aware that if it is now nearer to the end of the month we may require waiting to see if next month's rent will be able to be paid on time.
7. Again, we cannot become involved unless with our help the balance owed will be zero. Also, if you are self employed we will need to see bank statements and tax returns to establish income and ability to pay rent.
8. There can't be an arrangement of a payment plan with the landlord for anything else owed as the balance must get to zero with our payment. Also, if you are moving, you cannot owe money to your prior landlord and seek our help for assistance to pay your new landlord. You cannot have been evicted from your prior residence and have owed money to your prior landlord. Lastly, we aren't able to be involved if the person owed money for back rent or move in costs is a relative.
9. Your current utility bills (water, electricity, gas) and your property tax bill if you own your home, must be up to date, and there can't be a past due bill from a prior residence. Please don't apply yet if any of your utility bills are past due. Any balance owed must just be your current utility bills for the prior month’s usage.
10. If you meet the above requirements for assistance and also those on the Who Can We Help? then please click here to fill out the: Initial Application.
Also, please note we do not help with closing costs on the purchase of a home.
If you have any questions then just email us at email@example.com . We look forward to reading your Application and doing all we can to assist you.