A. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR HELP:
Here to Help is very unique. We are a Private Foundation who has gained IRS approval to directly assist people in need.
There are specific IRS requirements we must follow and which applicants must meet for us to help.
In general, Here to Help can assist temporarily impoverished individuals facing an unexpected emergency and who can't presently afford the basic necessities of life.
An applicant must meet ALL the General Requirements below to qualify for help:
1. You must be living in Wayne or Oakland County in Michigan and have a Michigan Driver’s License or a State of Michigan issued ID Card with your current address. There are no exceptions. If you are moving, then your current address AND your new residence must be in Wayne or Oakland County. Also, if you are away at school and living in a different County we can't be of assistance.
2. Our help cannot be a temporary solution to the problem. For example, we can't pay back rent if you won't be able to pay next month's rent. You must show that, after our help, you'll be able to pay all your future monthly expenses etc.
3. You cannot be the cause or a contributing cause to your own emergency. The emergency situation must be completely outside of your control.
4. Unfortunately, the #3 requirement above includes that we are prohibited from assisting where a pregnancy or birth of a child caused a loss of income for you and was a contributing factor to your need of help.
Similarly, we can't assist if the usual costs associated with raising a child/children resulted in less available money to pay your bills.
We previously had a ruling that in these situations the applicant is a contributing cause to the emergency.
5. You must be able to provide a police report if you state that a crime caused your current emergency need.
6. WE ARE A ONE TIME, ONE GRANT RESOURCE. IF WE HELPED YOU BEFORE THEN WE CANNOT HELP AGAIN. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY IF WE PREVIOUSLY HELPED YOU.
7. We can't get involved if there is a dispute between you and someone else regarding who was the cause of the emergency. For example, if you claim DTE made a mistake on your bill and DTE says we did not then we can't become involved. That's between you and DTE.
8. If you are capable of working, you must be employed and have received pay stubs for the prior four weeks at your current job. Your wages must be able to pay for all your monthly expenses. We cannot include income that is coming to your children (such as SSI benefits). Your wages alone must cover monthly expenses.
The job cannot be temporary or through a staffing agency or via the State of Michigan as an Aide/Home Chore.
If you are not currently working due to COVID-19, then we can accept unemployment benefits as a source of income for you. We have to see though that your current income will cover your expenses moving forward ALSO see that your retroactive benefits were not enough to pay for your back rent.
If you are incapable of working due to a disability then YOU must be receiving SSD or SSI. It must be you that is receiving the SSD or SSI and not benefits that your child is receiving.
9. If you meet all the above requirements then choose which of our emergency Programs meets your need and follow the instructions on that page. Click here for: PROGRAMS OF ASSISTANCE
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOUR REQUEST IS APPROVED, WE CANNOT PROVIDE MONEY TO YOU DIRECTLY BUT ONLY TO THE SERVICE PROVIDER OR CREDITOR (CAR REPAIR SHOP, LANDLORD, UTILITY SERVICE ETC.). WE CANNOT REIMBURSE YOU IF THE BILL HAS ALREADY BEEN PAID.