A. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR HELP:
Here to Help is very unique as we are a Private Foundation that has gained IRS approval to directly assist people in need.
There are specific IRS requirements that we must follow and that applicants must meet for us to help.
In general, the IRS has approved Here to Help to assist temporarily impoverished individuals facing an unexpected emergency and who can't presently afford the basic necessities of life.
An applicant must meet ALL the General Requirements below to qualify for help:
1. You must be living in Wayne or Oakland County in southeastern Michigan. You must have a Michigan Driver’s License or a State of Michigan issued ID Card with your current address. There are no exceptions. (If you are about to move at the time of your request then your current address and your new residence must be in Wayne or Oakland County.)
2. Our help cannot be a temporary solution to the problem. For example, we can't pay back rent if you won't be able to pay next month's rent. You must show, if we were able to help, that you'll be able to pay all your future monthly expenses etc. with the income you are receiving per month.
3. You cannot be a contributing cause in your current economic emergency. The emergency must have arisen from circumstances completely outside of your control (i.e. you can't have loaned money to a friend and now you need help paying for your car repair; or being behind in rent due to having paid traffic tickets you accumulated etc.)
4. Unfortunately, the #3 requirement above includes that we are prohibited from assisting where a pregnancy or birth of a child caused a loss of income for you and now you need help.
Similarly, we can't assist where if you need assistance because the usual costs associated with raising a child or children resulted in less money available to pay your bills.
We previously had a ruling that in these situations the applicant is viewed as a contributing cause to this type of emergency situation and therefore we can't assist.
5. If you indicate that a crime was committed or a car accident occured that caused your emergency situation, then there must be a police report of the incident.
6. WE ARE A ONE TIME, ONE GRANT RESOURCE. YOU CAN ONLY REQUEST HELP FOR ONE PROGRAM AND IF WE HELPED YOU BEFORE THEN YOU CANNOT REQUEST HELP AGAIN. DO NOT APPLY IF WE HELPED YOU IN THE PAST.
7. We can't get involved if there is a dispute between you and another individual or company as to who was the cause of the emergency or who should paying for your emergency situation.
For example, if you claim DTE made a mistake on your bill and DTE says we did not then we can't become involved. That's between you and DTE.
8. If you are capable of working, you must be employed and have received pay stubs for the prior four weeks. Your wages must be able to pay for all your monthly expenses (benefits your children are receiving for SSI cannot be included).
The job cannot be temporary or through staffing agency. (Also, your job can't be via the State of Michigan as an Aide.)
If you are incapable of working due to a disability then you MUST be receiving SSD or SSI. It must be you that is receiving the SSD or SSI and not benefits that your child is receiving.
9. If you meet all the above requirements then choose which of our emergency Program meets your need and follow the instructions on that page. Click here: PROGRAMS OF ASSISTANCE
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOUR REQUEST IS APPROVED, WE CANNOT PROVIDE MONEY TO YOU DIRECTLY BUT ONLY TO THE SERVICE PROVIDER OR CREDITOR (CAR REPAIR SHOP, LANDLORD, UTILITY SERVICE ETC.). WE CANNOT REIMBURSE YOU IF THE BILL HAS ALREADY BEEN PAID.