A. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR HELP:
Here to Help is very unique as we are a Private Foundation that has gained IRS approval to directly assist people in need.
However, there are specific requirements that we must follow and that applicants must meet to allow us to help.
In general, the IRS has approved Here to Help to assist temporarily impoverished individuals facing an unexpected emergency (that occurred through no fault of their own) and who presently can't afford the basic necessities of life.
An applicant must meet ALL the General Requirements below to qualify for help:
1. You must be living in Wayne or Oakland County in southeastern Michigan. You must have a Michigan Driver’s License or State of Michigan issued ID Card with your current address. (You can't be living at school or elsewhere, outside of these counties, at any time either. Also, if you are about to move at the time of your request then your new residence must also be in Wayne or Oakland County.)
2. We assist with unforeseen emergency situations. Something occurred causing the emergency which you could not have anticipated happening. Also, our help cannot be a temporary solution to the problem. For example, we can't pay back rent if you won't be able to pay next month's rent.
3. You must show, if we were able to help, that you'll be able to pay all your monthly expenses etc. moving forward with the income you are receiving per month. If your expenses exceed your income we cannot help.
4. Your emergency situation must have occurred through no fault of your own. You cannot be a contributing cause of your current economic emergency such as you loaned/gave money to someone else and now can't pay your own rent or car repair bill etc. The emergency must have arisen from circumstances outside of your control.
Unfortunately, this requirement also includes that we are prohibited from assisting where a pregnancy or birth of a child caused a loss of income for you or your partner and you are now in need.
Similarly, we can't assist where one needs assistance on a bill due to not having sufficient funds as a result of the usual costs each month associated with raising a child or children.
We previously had a ruling that in these situations the applicant is viewed as a contributing cause to this type of emergency situation and therefore we can't assist.
5. We help individuals who are doing all they can do to be economically independent and self-sufficient but currently are facing a one time emergency situation.
6. If you claim that a crime was committed that caused your emergency situation then we are required to verify this by receiving a police report.
7. WE ARE A ONE-GRANT RESOURCE. YOU CAN ONLY REQUEST HELP FOR ONE NEED. SIMILARLY, IF WE HELPED YOU PREVIOUSLY PLEASE DO NOT APPLY AGAIN AS WE CANNOT ASSIST AGAIN.
8. We can't get involved if there is a dispute between you and another individual or company as to who was the cause of the emergency. In other words, if you claim DTE made a mistake on your bill and DTE says we did not, then we can't become involved as that issue is between you and DTE. We can't be in the position of having to determine who is right and who is wrong.
9. If you are capable of working, you must be employed and earning sufficient income to meet your monthly expenses. (Also, the job cannot be as a home health aide who is employed by the State of Michigan.)
If you are incapable of working due to a disability then you MUST be receiving SSDI or SSI. It must be you that is receiving the SSDI or SSI and not benefits that your child is receiving. So please only apply if you meet this Requirement.
Your income cannot be solely alimony or family support etc.
10. If you meet all the above requirements then see the Who Can We Help page and choose which of our emergency Program meets your need and follow the instructions on that page. PROGRAMS OF ASSISTANCE
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOUR REQUEST IS APPROVED, WE CANNOT PROVIDE MONEY TO YOU DIRECTLY BUT ONLY TO THE SERVICE PROVIDER OR CREDITOR (CAR REPAIR SHOP, LANDLORD, UTILITY SERVICE ETC.). WE CANNOT REIMBURSE YOU IF THE BILL HAS ALREADY BEEN PAID.