A. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR HELP:
Here to Help is unique. We are one of the few Private Foundations to have obtained IRS approval to directly assist people in need. There are though specific IRS requirements that we must follow and requirements your situation must meet.
In general, Here to Help can assist temporarily impoverished individuals who are now facing an unexpected emergency which is out of their ability to control and they cannot, at this time, afford basic necessities of life.
You MUST meet ALL the General Requirements below to qualify for help:
1. Be living in Wayne or Oakland County in southeastern Michigan. There are absolutely no exceptions to this Requirement. You must have a Michigan Driver’s License or State of Michigan issued ID Card with your current address. In addition to this we will need to see your current lease or house ownership information. You can't be living at school or elsewhere, outside of these counties, at any time either.
2. We assist with unforeseen emergency situations. Something occurred causing the emergency which you could not have anticipated happening. The emergency must not be expected to occur again in the future. Our help cannot be a temporary solution to the problem. For example, we can't pay back rent if you won't be able to pay next month's rent. We can't pay a car repair bill if when the next repairs are needed you won't be able to afford them etc.
3. You must show, if we are able to help, you'll be able to pay all your bills etc. moving forward.
4. Your emergency situation must have occurred through no fault of your own. You cannot be a contributing cause of your current lack of income to pay for your emergency such as you loaned or gave money to someone else and now can't pay your own rent. The emergency must have arisen from circumstances outside of your control.
Unfortunately, this requirement would also include that we are prohibited from assisting where a pregnancy or birth of a child caused a loss of income for you or your partner and you are now in need.
Similarly, we can't assist where one needs assistance on a bill due to not having sufficient funds do to the usual costs each month with raising a child or children.
We previously had a ruling that in these situations the applicant is viewed as a contributing cause to the emergency situation and therefore we can't assist.
5. We help individuals who are doing all they can do to be economically independent and self-sufficient but currently are facing a one time emergency situation.
6. If you claim that a crime was committed that caused your emergency situation then we are required to verify this by receiving a police report.
7. WE ARE A ONE-GRANT RESOURCE. YOU CAN ONLY REQUEST HELP FOR ONE NEED. SIMILARLY, WE CAN ONLY HELP ONCE SO IF WE HELPED YOU PREVIOUSLY PLEASE DO NOT APPLY AGAIN AS WE CANNOT ASSIST, NO MATTER IF WE PAID LESS THAN OUR MAXIMUM AMOUNT ALLOWED ON THE PRIOR GRANT.
8. We also can't get involved if there is a dispute between you and another individual or company as to who was the cause of the emergency. In other words, if you claim DTE made a mistake on your bill and DTE says we did not, then we can't become involved as that issue is between you and DTE. Similarly, if you have a dispute with your landlord and have been withholding your rent payments (and may be facing eviction) then we can't get involved. We can't be in the position of having to determine who is right and who is wrong.
9. If you are capable of working, you must be employed (permanent job of at least 30 hours per week, not temporary or seasonal) and receiving pay stubs. Or, if you are unable to work due to a disability then you MUST be receiving SSDI or SSI. It must be you that is receiving the SSDI or SSI and not be disability benefits that your child is receiving. So please only apply if you will are currently able to produce this information. Again, you must be either working or receiving disability assistance to qualify with Here to Help.
10. We are prohibited from assisting if you owe fines, costs, fees or any associated payments or bills to the State of Michigan or the Federal Government.
11. If you meet the above requirements then see the page for our emergency Program that meets your need and follow the instructions on that page. PROGRAMS OF ASSISTANCE
IF YOUR REQUEST IS APPROVED, WE CANNOT PROVIDE MONEY TO YOU DIRECTLY BUT ONLY TO THE SERVICE PROVIDER OR CREDITOR (CAR REPAIR SHOP, LANDLORD, UTILITY SERVICE ETC.). WE CANNOT REIMBURSE YOU IF THE BILL HAS ALREADY BEEN PAID.