A. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR HELP:
Here to Help is very unique as we solely and directly assist people in need.
Our programs also provide non-economic services of help, much of which is listed on our Home Page.
There are specific IRS requirements which applicants must meet for us to help.
In general, Here to Help can assist temporarily impoverished individuals facing an unexpected emergency and who can't presently afford the basic necessities of life.
An applicant must meet ALL the General Requirements below to qualify for help:
1. You must be living full time in Wayne or Oakland County and have a Michigan Driver’s License or a State of Michigan issued ID Card with your current address. If you are moving, then your current address AND your new residence must be in Wayne or Oakland County.
2. Our help cannot be a temporary solution to the problem. For example, we can't pay back rent if you won't be able to pay next month's rent. You must show that, after our help, you'll be able to pay all your future monthly expenses etc.
3. You cannot be the cause or a contributing cause to your own emergency.
4. Unfortunately, the #3 requirement above includes that we are prohibited from assisting where a pregnancy or birth of a child caused a loss of income for you and was a contributing factor to your need of help.
5. You must be able to provide a police report if you state that a crime caused your current emergency need.
6. We are a one time only resource. We can only assist with one type of help and on one occasion.
7. We can't get involved if there is a dispute between you and another regarding who was the cause of the emergency. For example, if you claim your landlord made a mistake on your bill and your landlord says we did not then Here to Help can't become involved until that issue is resolved.
8. If you are capable of working, you must be employed and have received pay stubs for the prior four weeks at your current job.
The job cannot be temporary or via the State of Michigan as an Aide/Home Chore. If you are working for a staffing agency, it may be hard to assist but we'll review the entirety of your situation.
If you are incapable of working due to a disability then you must be receiving SSD or SSI. It must be you that is receiving the SSD or SSI and not benefits that your child is receiving.
During the pandemic we will consider your situation if you are receiving unemployment benefits that are sufficient enough to meet your monthly expenses.
Lastly, we aren’t able to be involved if the person money is owed to is a relative.
9. If you meet all the above requirements then choose which of our emergency Programs meets your need and follow the instructions on that page. Click here for: PROGRAMS OF ASSISTANCE
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOUR REQUEST IS APPROVED, WE CANNOT PROVIDE MONEY TO YOU DIRECTLY BUT ONLY TO THE SERVICE PROVIDER OR CREDITOR (CAR REPAIR SHOP, LANDLORD, UTILITY SERVICE ETC.).