REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program.
1. Alright, let us get it out of the way first by saying there are no exception to these requirements. Sorry. Only apply if you meet all the requirements.
2. You MUST be working at least 35 hours per week and have worked at your job for at least the past four weeks and have pay stubs from the prior four weeks. PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU ARE WORKING AT LEAST THIS MANY HOURS PER WEEK AND FOR AT LEAST FOUR WEEKS. 33 or 34 or 34.9 hours a week is not enough. It must be 35 hours or more and we will eventually request your pay stubs for documentation.
3. You have to be working at a permanent job and a vehicle is needed to get to and from employment. Please do not apply if you have another working vehicle available to you at present.
4. You must currently be working and cannot be off on medical leave from your job or about to go on leave for any reason.
5. The job cannot be self-employment or an independent contractor. Nor can the job be a home health aide employed by the State of Michigan.
6. The pay stubs must contain the total hours, dates the pay stub covers, the pay rate, YTD totals, taxes, Social Security, deductions etc. Unfortunately, we have received fraudulent pay stubs in the past so we need this information to assist in verifying the pay stub.
7. The job cannot be temporary or seasonal, including working for a staffing agency. We know that some temporary staffing positions lead to permanent employment, but please only apply when the job becomes permanent and NOT when it is still temporary. Additionally, you can't be employed provisionally, awaiting final confirmation after you pass a certain period of time or waiting for the permanent hire-in date. It must currently be a permanent, fully employed position.
8. You must be able to show that you have enough net monthly income to afford a used vehicle. It must be your income at the present time. We can't help if you believe a vehicle would allow you work more hours and earn more income.
We will factor in your anticipated car expenses with your other expenses per month to determine if a vehicle is affordable for you based on your present income.
Car expenses would include:
A. Gas - this will be a minimum of about $70.00 per month just driving 15 miles per day. Most people drive much more than this per day and the anticipated cost is much higher.
B. Monthly expenses for repairs and routine maintenance, which will be a minimum of $100.00 per month. This would go towards your savings each month for future repairs or maintenance or go towards those costs that you needed do spend on the car for that particular month.
C. Car insurance - This is unfortunately very expensive in Detroit where it usually ranges from $280-$310 per month. Your driving record, your age, whether you have had insurance recently and where you live will determine your insurance cost.
There is also the cost for an annual license, registration fees etc.
D. Also, you have to show that you are independent and living on your own and paying ALL routine living expenses/bills. We can't assist if you are living at home and your parent or someone else is paying some or all of rent, utilities, food or other routine living expenses. Again, you must be able to show that you are completely independent, living on your own and can afford to pay all your monthly bills along with the costs associated with a used vehicle. We will require a copy of your current rental lease or mortgage agreement to establish you are living on your own.
Please be aware that the main reason car requests are denied is due to lack of adequate monthly income. If you are working at or near the pay level of minimum wage, such as in the food service industry, then we will likely not be able to assist you as the income generated from that pay rate does not usually allow one to afford the costs associated with a used vehicle.
9. You cannot be living a close distance to work, where your commute is within walking distance or a short bus ride.
10. WE PROVIDE A VERY LARGE NUMBER OF USED CARS FOR APPLICANTS AND SOMETIMES WE ARE PROCESSING SO MANY CAR APPLICATIONS THAT WE MAY NOT, AT THAT TIME, BE ACCEPTING MORE APPLICATIONS.
WE WILL LET YOU KNOW IF THAT IS THE CASE. PLEASE SEND THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AND WE WILL BE BACK IN TOUCH. EMAIL US BY CLICKING HERE: Here to Help Foundation
A. Please provide the following: name, phone number, complete address, email address, date of birth and that you are interested in the Working Cars for Working People program.
B. Please state you have read and you meet ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page.
C. Please state that you have read and you meet ALL the above "Requirements for Assistance" for the Working Cars for Working People program.
D. Please answer where you work (address), the name of the company, how many hours per week you work and your net pay (after taxes/deductions) per month or per pay period (indicate that it is for a week or for two weeks). Again, this is your NET pay (take home pay).
E. Please provide just a couple of sentences regarding why you need help with the purchase of a car. Please include why you are unable to afford to purchase a used vehicle and how you will be able to save each month to pay for car repairs and maintenance and car insurance and gas. Please also answer how your are currently getting to and from work.
F. Lastly, help us establish that you cannot presently afford to purchase a car by including the total amount of ALL your monthly bills/expenses (rent, food, phone, heat, gas, water, electricity, cable, day care etc.) DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING OUT AS IT WILL HELP US CONFIRM YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO PURCHASE A CAR. INCLUDE EVERYTHING.
G. How did you find out about Here to Help?
IF YOUR INITIAL INFORMATION ABOVE INDICATES THAT YOU MAY QUALIFY FOR A USED CAR THEN WE WILL EMAIL YOU AN APPLICATION OR PROVIDE YOU WITH ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR QUESTIONS.
Check your spam/junk folder for our reply as sometimes our emails wind up there.
11. The maximum amount of assistance we provide for the purchase of a used vehicle is $3000.00. We only purchase our cars through the Volunteers of America (VOA) used vehicle lot (located at 618 East Walton Blvd. in Pontiac). There is no loan involved as it is a complete purchase of a used vehicle costing $3,000 or less. That amount covers fees, plate etc. No cost for you at at all however if a used vehicle grant is awarded, car insurance will be required to drive the vehicle off the lot at VOA. Please DO NOT apply at the present time if you will be unable to afford this car insurance.