REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program.
1. WITH NO EXCEPTIONS: You MUST be working at least 35 hours per week and have pay stubs from the prior four weeks Documenting this requirement. ThEse pay stubs must CONTAIN actual hours worked (not vacation time/sick time etc.).
If you are changing EMployers or JOb position and/or getting a PAY raise (that helps you to qualify with us), Please wait to apply until you have worked the required four weeks.
2. You have to be working at a permanent job and a vehicle is needed to get to and from employment. The job can't be seasonal or be a temporary position or through a staffing agency. If the job may turn into a permanent position, then please wait until that occurs before applying.
3. Please do not apply if you currently have another working vehicle available to you as our funds are provided to those who have no car available through family or friend.
4. The job cannot be self-employment or as an independent contractor.
5. A. The job cannot be as a home health aide who is employed by the State of Michigan.
B. The job cannot be through Uber of Lyft or other employers that have specific requirements/inspections for the type of vehicle that may be used.
6. The pay stubs MUST contain your name, the total hours, dates the pay stub covers, the pay rate, YTD totals, paycheck deductions (Social Security, Medicare, State Income Tax, Federal Income Tax) etc.
7. Your utility bills, rent etc. cannot be behind in payment.
8. You must be able to show that you presently have enough net monthly income to afford a used vehicle. It must be your income at the present time from employment wages only.
Car expenses would include:
A. Gas - this will be a minimum of about $70.00 per month just driving 15 miles per day. Most people drive much more than this per day and the anticipated cost is much higher.
B. $100.00 each month to go toward your savings each month for future car repairs or maintenance or to go toward repair/maintenance costs that you paid to repair the car for that particular month.
C. Car insurance - In Detroit, it usually ranges from $280-$400 per month. Your driving record, your age, whether you have had insurance recently and where you live will determine your insurance cost. If you have any questions regarding how much insurance will cost you, then get an estimate for insurance on a 2005 Honda Civic and Vehicle Identification Number 2HGES15525H571200 and this will provide you a good idea of the insurance cost for the type of car we purchase for grantees.
D. You have to show that you are independent and living on your own and fully paying ALL routine living expenses/bills including rent and utilities etc. We can't assist if you are living at home or with friends or renting a room from someone. Only your name can be on the lease or mortgage agreement (or you and your spouse) and all utility bills.
Similarly, it is very, very difficult for us to help with a car purchase if you are receiving any assistance with your rent (such as a Section 8 voucher etc.) as this amount will change in the future depending on your income. We really need to see that you can afford full and complete rent on your level of income without assistance.
E. If you are working in the range of minimum wage then we will likely not be able to assist you as this rate will not allow one to afford the costs associated with a used vehicle.
9. Lastly, you cannot be living a close distance to work where your commute is within walking distance or a short bus ride. Also, if you are currently financing a car that you can longer afford or it's unable to be repaired, we need to see that the payments you still owe on that vehicle have been resolved. If the car has been repossessed or you turn it into the lender, you still owe on the remainder of the loan contract.
We also cannot assist if you are going through a bankruptcy.
10. PLEASE SEND US, BY EMAIL, THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS AND WE WILL BE BACK IN TOUCH. ONLY ANSWER THE FOLLOWING. NOTHING MORE PLEASE. DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTS OR ATTACHMENTS.
IN YOUR EMAIL YOU MUST TYPE A. AND THEN ANSWER WHAT IS REQUESTED FOR A.
AND THEN THE SAME FOR B. ETC. UNTIL YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL THAT IS REQUESTED FROM A THROUGH G.
EMAIL US BY CLICKING HERE: Here to Help Foundation
A. Please provide the following: name, phone number, complete address, email address, date of birth, who referred you to Here to Help and that you are interested in the Working Cars for Working People program.
B. Please state you have read and you meet ALL of our General Requirements as listed on the Who Can We Help page.
C. Please state that you have read and you meet ALL the above "Requirements for Assistance" for the Working Cars for Working People program.
D. Please answer where you work (address), the name of the company, how many hours per week you work and your net pay (after taxes/deductions) per four weeks or per pay period (indicate that pay period is for a week or for two weeks). Again, this is your NET pay (take home pay).
Please also indicate how long you have been working at your current employment.
E. Please state how much you earn per hour of work (hourly rate of pay).
F. Please provide just a couple of sentences regarding why you need help with the purchase of a car. Please include why you are unable to afford to purchase a used vehicle and how you will be able to save each month to pay for car repairs, maintenance, car insurance and gas. Please also answer how your are currently getting to/from work and if you were financing your prior or current car.
G. Lastly, help us establish that you cannot presently afford to purchase a car by telling us the name of the bills/expenses and the specific amounts for of ALL your current monthly bills/expenses (for example: rent, food, phone, heat, gas, water, electricity, cable, day care, medical costs, transportation costs, any loans including car loan payments, car insurance, toiletries, average monthly clothing costs and ANYTHING else). Again, list the name of each expense AND the amount. Please note: We will eventually ask for printout of all ride sharing (like Uber etc) costs over the last month so be accurate on your listing of that amount in your list of expenses here.
If one or more of your bills is not paid monthly but, for example, every six months (like car insurance or a water bill) then let us know the amount and how often it is paid.
WHAT YOU TELL US WILL HELP US CONFIRM YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO CURRENTLY PURCHASE A CAR WITHOUT OUR HELP. INCLUDE EVERYTHING! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CHANGE WHAT YOU TELL US NOW.
Please note, we are required to run a background check and this will reveal liens and judgements that you owe as well as car ownership/registration etc. at present.
Check your spam/junk folder for our reply as sometimes our emails wind up there.
11. The maximum amount of assistance we provide for the purchase of a used vehicle is $3000.00. We only purchase our cars through the Volunteers of America (VOA) used vehicle lot (located at 618 East Walton Blvd. in Pontiac). There is no loan involved as it is a complete purchase of a used vehicle costing $3,000 or less. That amount covers fees, plate etc. You must be able to afford car insurance, which will be required to drive the vehicle off of the lot at VOA. Please DO NOT apply at the present time if you will be unable to afford this car insurance. If you have some savings you can contribute up to $500 towards the purchase of a car that costs more than our maximum of $3,000.