REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page and make certain you meet these requirements. If so, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program. Also, look at the Initial Application page to make certain we are receiving Applications at this time. We usually are always open but sometimes we become overwhelmed with current Applications and can't accept more at the present time. The Initial Application page will state if we closed. If it doesn't, we're open.
1. Alright, let us get it out of the way first by saying there are no exception to these requirements. Sorry. Only apply if you meet all the requirements.
2. You MUST be working at least 35 hours per week and have worked at your job for at least the past four weeks. PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU ARE WORKING AT LEAST THIS MANY HOURS PER WEEK AND FOR AT LEAST FOUR WEEKS. 33 or 34 or 34.9 hours a week is not enough. It must be 35 hours or more and we will eventually request your pay stubs for documentation.
3. You have to be working at a permanent job and a vehicle is needed to get to and from employment.
4. You must currently be working and cannot be off on medical leave from your job or about to go on leave for any reason.
5. The job cannot be self-employment or an independent contractor. Nor can the job be a home health aide employed by the State of Michigan.
6. The pay stubs must contain the total hours, dates the pay stub covers, the pay rate, YTD totals, taxes, Social Security, deductions etc. Unfortunately, we have received fraudulent pay stubs in the past so we need this information to assist in verifying the pay stub.
7. The job cannot be temporary or seasonal, including working for a staffing agency. We know that some temporary staffing positions lead to permanent employment, but please only apply when the job becomes permanent and NOT when it is still temporary.
8. You must be able to show that you have enough net monthly income to afford a used vehicle. Experts recommend that your monthly car expenses should be less than 20% of your monthly take home pay (after taxes/deductions). We will apply this percentage to your information. So if you're earning $1500 a month net pay, your car expenses should be no more than $300.00 per month. Car expenses include repairs and routine maintenance, gas, annual license, registration fees etc. along with car insurance (which is unfortunately very expensive in Detroit area. For those we help, it usually ranges from $280-$310 per month).
If we proceed further, we will eventually ask for copies of your pay stubs, monthly expenses/bills etc. to determine if a car is affordable for you. Please be aware that the main reason car requests are denied is due to lack of adequate monthly income.
9. You cannot be living a close distance to work, where your commute is within walking distance or a short bus ride.
10. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING: WE ARE SORRY BUT WE WILL NOT BE GRANTING USED VEHICLE REQUESTS FOR THE MONTH OF JULY. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO RETURN TO THIS PAGE ON AUGUST 1ST AND THE INFORMATION ON WHAT TO SEND US TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS WILL BE FOUND HERE. IF YOU PRESENTLY HAVE ANY QUESTIONS THEN PLEASE EMAIL US NOW AND WE WILL REPLY.
11. The maximum amount of assistance provided is $3000.00. We only purchase our cars through the Volunteers of America (VOA) used vehicle lot (located at 618 East Walton Blvd. in Pontiac). If a used vehicle grant is awarded, car insurance is required at the time the Foundation purchases the vehicle so you can drive the car off the lot. If you can't afford insurance now, just wait until you can before applying.