REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program.
1. It is great that you are working and hopefully you are working at least 35 or more hours per week as that is the amount required.
YOU ALSO MUST HAVE BEEN working at least four weeks at your CURRENT job with pay stubs for that time FRAME. All pay stubs must show At Least 35 hours per week for actual working hours and not for vacation time or sick time etc.
2. The job must be permanent and not seasonal or temporary. If the job is through a staffing agency that may turn into a permanent position then that's wonderful and we hope to help when the time comes you become a permanent employee.
3. If you are self-employed or an independent contractor, we will eventually need to see your last two years of income tax returns and that you are paying quarterly estimated taxes.
4. The pay stubs must contain your name, the total hours, dates the pay stub covers, the pay rate, YTD totals, paycheck deductions (Social Security, Medicare, State Income Tax, Federal Income Tax) etc.
5. Your utility bills must be up to date in payment.
6. Your rent cannot be behind in payment.
7. If you are going through any bankruptcy proceedings then please wait until that is completed.
8. You must be able to show that you presently have enough net monthly income, from employment wages, to afford a used vehicle.
Car expenses would include:
B. $50-$100.00 to go toward your savings each month for future car repairs or maintenance.
C. Car insurance - In Detroit, it usually ranges from $280-$400 per month depending on your driving record, age, whether you had insurance recently, where you live etc. If you have any questions regarding how much insurance will cost you, then get a cost estimate on a 2006 Pontiac and VIN 2G2WP552261252704. This will provide you a good idea of the insurance cost for the type of car we purchase for our clients.
D. You must be independent and living on your own and fully paying all routine living expenses/bills including full rent and utilities etc. You can't be living in a temporary living situation with low rent/no utility bills etc. Your name must be on the lease or mortgage agreement.
Similarly, it is often difficult for us to help with a car purchase if you are receiving any assistance with your rent (such as a Section 8 voucher etc.) as this amount will change in the future depending on your income. But don't let that stop you from applying as each situation is unique.
9. Lastly, you cannot be living a close distance to work where your commute is within walking distance or a short bus ride.
10. PLEASE SEND US, BY EMAIL, THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS AND WE WILL BE BACK IN TOUCH PROMPTLY.
IN YOUR EMAIL YOU MUST TYPE A. AND THEN SIMPLY TYPE YOUR ANSWER FOR WHAT IS REQUESTED FOR A.
AND THEN THE SAME FOR B. ETC. UNTIL YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL THAT IS REQUESTED FROM A THROUGH G.
IT MAY BE EASIEST FOR YOU TO COPY AND PASTE THE QUESTIONS BELOW INTO AN EMAIL AND THEN ANSWER. EMAIL US ANSWERS BY CLICKING HERE: Here to Help Foundation
A. Please provide the following: name, phone number, complete address, email address and date of birth. Please answer who referred you to Here to Help and state that you are interested in the Working Cars for Working People program.
B. Please confirm you have read and you meet ALL of our General Requirements as listed on the Who Can We Help page.
C. Please confirm you have read and you meet ALL the above "Requirements for Assistance" for the Working Cars for Working People program.
D. Please answer where you work (address), the name of the company, how many hours per week you work and your net pay (after taxes/deductions) per pay period (indicate whether the pay period is for a week or for two weeks).
Again, this is your NET pay (take home pay only). Please also indicate how long you have been working at your current employment.
If your spouse works, we need ALL the same information, asked in this request of 10D, for him/her.
E. Please state how much you earn per hour of work (hourly rate of pay).
F. Please provide just a couple of sentences regarding why you need help with the purchase of a car. Please include why you are unable to afford to purchase a used vehicle and how you will be able to save each month to pay for car repairs, maintenance, car insurance and gas.
Please also answer how your are currently getting to/from work and, if you have/had a car, whether you were financing that car.
G. Lastly, help us establish that you cannot presently afford to purchase a car by telling us the names of your monthly bills and expenses and the specific amounts for of ALL of these monthly costs. For example: rent, food, phone, heat, gas, water, electricity, cable, day care, credit card bills, medical costs, transportation costs, any loans including car loan payments, car insurance, toiletries, average monthly clothing costs and ANYTHING else).
List the name of each expense AND the amount for each expense per month. Please be as accurate as possible as we cannot provide you the opportunity to change the amounts of your expenses after they have been submitted.
If one or more of your bills is not paid monthly but, for example, every six months (like car insurance or a water bill) then let us know the amount and how often it is paid. If you receive food assistance then list the amount and any out of pocket food expenses you have.
WHAT YOU TELL US WILL HELP US CONFIRM YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO CURRENTLY PURCHASE A CAR WITHOUT OUR HELP. INCLUDE EVERYTHING! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CHANGE WHAT YOU TELL US NOW.
Please note, we are required to run a background check and this will reveal liens, bankruptcy proceedings and judgements that you owe as well as car ownership/registration and whether you are financing a car at present.
Check your spam/junk folder for our reply as sometimes our emails wind up there.
11. The maximum amount of assistance we provide for the purchase of a used vehicle is $3000.00. We only purchase our cars through the Volunteers of America (VOA) used vehicle lot (located at 618 East Walton Blvd. in Pontiac). There is no loan involved as it is a complete purchase of a used vehicle costing $3,000 or less. That amount covers fees, plate etc. You must be able to afford car insurance, which will be required to drive the vehicle off of the lot at VOA.
Please DO NOT apply at the present time if you will be unable to afford car insurance.
Also, if you have some savings you can contribute up to $500 towards the purchase of a car that costs more than our maximum of $3,000.
All of our programs also provide other forms of assistance including offering mentoring and support groups, locating housing, financial literacy help, computer and internet training, mental health counseling, referrals for job training, locating employment, negotiating with creditors, help with filling out job and employment applications and other non-economic needs that are encountered.