REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page and make certain you meet these requirements. If so, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program:
1. Alright, let us get it out of the way first by saying there are no exception to these requirements. Sorry. Only apply if you meet all the requirements.
2. You MUST be working at least 35 hours per week and have worked at your job for at least four weeks. PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU ARE WORKING AT LEAST THIS MANY HOURS PER WEEK AND FOR AT LEAST FOUR WEEKS. 33 or 34 or 34.9 hours a week is not enough. It must be 35 hours or more and we will eventually request your pay stubs for documentation.
3. You have to be working at a permanent job and a vehicle is needed to get to and from employment.
4. You must currently be working and cannot be off on medical leave from your job or about to go on leave for any reason.
5. The job cannot be self-employment or an independent contractor. Nor can the job be a home health aide employed by the State of Michigan.
6. The pay stubs must contain the total hours, dates the pay stub covers, the pay rate, YTD totals, taxes, Social Security, deductions etc. Unfortunately, we have received fraudulent pay stubs in the past so we need this information to assist in verifying the pay stub.
7. The job cannot be temporary or seasonal, including working for a staffing agency (unless you have received confirmation of subsequent full time/permanent employment via the staffing agency).
8. You must be able to show that you have enough net monthly income to afford a used vehicle. We do not have a set amount as every situation is unique but experts recommend that your monthly car expenses not total more than 20% of your monthly take home pay (after taxes/deductions). So if you're earning $1500 a month net pay, your car expenses should be no more than $300.00 per month. Car expenses include repairs and routine maintenance, gas, annual license, registration fees etc. along with car insurance (which is unfortunately very expensive in Detroit area. For those we help, it usually ranges from $280-$310 per month).
If we proceed further, we will ask for your monthly expenses, income etc. and copies of your bills to determine if a car is affordable for you. We will evaluate each Application on its own should there be additional factors to consider but please be aware that the main reason car requests are denied is due to lack of adequate monthly income.
9. You cannot be living a close distance to work, where your commute is within walking distance or a short bus ride.
10. DO NOT EMAIL US THE INFORMATION BELOW AT THE PRESENT TIME. DO NOT. PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING: WE PROVIDE A MAXIMUM OF 15 CARS PER MONTH AND HAVE REACHED THAT AMOUNT FOR THIS MONTH. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SEND THE INFORMATION BELOW THE FIRST OF NEXT MONTH. OTHERWISE ANY EMAIL SENT BEFORE THEN WILL BE DELETED FROM OUR SYSTEM.
Okay, you are almost done. Once you read requirement #11 below then you must send an email with all of the following to email@example.com .
You MUST include ALL of the following specific information:
A. Your name, phone number and that you are interested in the Working Cars for Working People program.
B. You must answer that you have read and you meet ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page.
C. You must answer that you have read and you meet ALL the above "Requirements for Assistance" for the Working Cars for Working People program.
D. Please answer where you work, how many hours per week you work and your net pay (after taxes/deductions) per month or per pay period (state where it is for a week or two weeks).
E. Please provide just a couple of sentences regarding why you need help with a car.
F. Lastly, help us establish that you cannot presently afford to purchase a car by including the total amount of ALL your monthly bills/expenses.
If all of this is provided we will then determine if we should go to the next step and email you the Application questions and list of required documents. Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.
11. The maximum amount of assistance provided is $3000.00. We only purchase our cars through the Volunteers of America (VOA) used vehicle lot (located at 618 East Walton Blvd. in Pontiac). If a used vehicle grant is awarded, VOA requires car insurance at the time the Foundation purchases the vehicle so you can drive the car off the lot. If you can't afford insurance now, just wait until you can before applying.