REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program.
1. You MUST be CONSISTENTLY working at least 35 hours per week and have BEEN WORKING FOR THE prior four weeks (WITH PAY STUBS). The pay stubs must CONTAIN actual hours worked (not vacation time/sick time etc.) Totaling 35 hours or more per week. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS REQUIREMENT.
2. You have to be working at a permanent job. The job can't be seasonal or be a temporary position or through a staffing agency. If the job may turn into a permanent position, then please wait until that occurs before applying.
3. Please do not apply if you currently have another working vehicle available to you as our funds are provided to those who have no car available through their family or friends.
4. The job cannot be self-employment or as an independent contractor, unless you can establish your income via the last two years of income tax returns and you are paying quarterly estimated taxes.
5. A. The job cannot be as a home health aide who is employed by the State of Michigan.
B. The job cannot be through Uber of Lyft or other employers that have specific requirements/inspections for the type of vehicle that may be used.
6. The pay stubs MUST contain your name, the total hours, dates the pay stub covers, the pay rate, YTD totals, paycheck deductions (Social Security, Medicare, State Income Tax, Federal Income Tax) etc.
7. Your utility bills, rent etc. cannot be behind in payment and we cannot assist at present if you are going through any bankruptcy proceedings.
8. You must be able to show that you presently have enough net monthly income, from employment wages, to afford a used vehicle. Also, we can't include what you anticipate your income would be if you had a vehicle (i.e. believing you could work additional hours).
Car expenses would include:
A. Gas - this will be a minimum of about $70.00 per month just driving 15 miles per day. Most people drive much more than this per day and the anticipated cost is much higher.
B. $100.00 each month to go toward your savings each month for future car repairs or maintenance or to go toward repair/maintenance costs that you paid to repair the car for that particular month.
C. Car insurance - In Detroit, it usually ranges from $280-$400 per month. Your driving record, your age, whether you have had insurance recently and where you live will determine your insurance cost. If you have any questions regarding how much insurance will cost you, then get an estimate for insurance on a 2005 Honda Civic and Vehicle Identification Number 2HGES15525H571200 and this will provide you a good idea of the insurance cost for the type of car we purchase for grantees.
D. You have to show that you are independent and living on your own and fully paying ALL routine living expenses/bills including rent and utilities etc. You also can't be living in a temporary living situation with low rent/no utility bills etc. as that situation will change in the future. We also can't assist if you are living at home or with friends or renting a room from someone. Only your name can be on the lease or mortgage agreement (or you and your spouse) and all utility bills.
Similarly, it is very, very difficult for us to help with a car purchase if you are receiving any assistance with your rent (such as a Section 8 voucher etc.) as this amount will change in the future depending on your income.
E. If you are working in the range of minimum wage then we will likely not be able to assist you as this rate will not allow one to afford the costs associated with a used vehicle.
9. Lastly, you cannot be living a close distance to work where your commute is within walking distance or a short bus ride.
Also, if you are currently financing a car that you can longer afford or it's unable to be repaired, we need to see that the payments you still owe on that vehicle have been resolved. If the car has been repossessed or you turn it into the lender, you still owe on the remainder of the loan contract.
10. PLEASE SEND US, BY EMAIL, THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS AND WE WILL BE BACK IN TOUCH. ONLY ANSWER THE FOLLOWING. NOTHING MORE PLEASE. DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTS OR ATTACHMENTS.
IN YOUR EMAIL YOU MUST TYPE A. AND THEN TYPE YOUR ANSWER FOR WHAT IS REQUESTED FOR A.
AND THEN THE SAME FOR B. ETC. UNTIL YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL THAT IS REQUESTED FROM A THROUGH G.
EMAIL US BY CLICKING HERE: Here to Help Foundation
A. Please provide the following: name, phone number, complete address, email address, date of birth, who referred you to Here to Help and that you are interested in the Working Cars for Working People program.
B. Please confirm you have read and you meet ALL of our General Requirements as listed on the Who Can We Help page.
C. Please confirm you have read and you meet ALL the above "Requirements for Assistance" for the Working Cars for Working People program.
D. Please answer where you work (address), the name of the company, how many hours per week you work and your net pay (after taxes/deductions) per four weeks or per pay period (indicate the pay period is for a week or for two weeks). Again, this is your NET pay (take home pay). Please also indicate how long you have been working at your current employment.
If your spouse works, we need ALL the same information, asked in this request of 10D, for him/her.
E. Please state how much you earn per hour of work (hourly rate of pay).
F. Please provide just a couple of sentences regarding why you need help with the purchase of a car. Please include why you are unable to afford to purchase a used vehicle and how you will be able to save each month to pay for car repairs, maintenance, car insurance and gas.
Please also answer how your are currently getting to/from work and if you were financing your prior or current car.
G. Lastly, help us establish that you cannot presently afford to purchase a car by telling us the name of the bills/expenses and the specific amounts for of ALL the current household monthly bills/expenses (for example: rent, food, phone, heat, gas, water, electricity, cable, day care, medical costs, transportation costs, any loans including car loan payments, car insurance, toiletries, average monthly clothing costs and ANYTHING else). Again, list the name of each expense AND the amount for the household. Please be as accurate as possible as we cannot provide you the opportunity to change the amounts of your expenses after they have been submitted.
If one or more of your bills is not paid monthly but, for example, every six months (like car insurance or a water bill) then let us know the amount and how often it is paid.
WHAT YOU TELL US WILL HELP US CONFIRM YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO CURRENTLY PURCHASE A CAR WITHOUT OUR HELP. INCLUDE EVERYTHING! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CHANGE WHAT YOU TELL US NOW.
Please note, we are required to run a background check and this will reveal liens, bankruptcy proceedings and judgements that you owe as well as car ownership/registration etc. at present.
Check your spam/junk folder for our reply as sometimes our emails wind up there.
11. The maximum amount of assistance we provide for the purchase of a used vehicle is $3000.00. We only purchase our cars through the Volunteers of America (VOA) used vehicle lot (located at 618 East Walton Blvd. in Pontiac). There is no loan involved as it is a complete purchase of a used vehicle costing $3,000 or less. That amount covers fees, plate etc. You must be able to afford car insurance, which will be required to drive the vehicle off of the lot at VOA.
Please DO NOT apply at the present time if you will be unable to afford this car insurance. If you have some savings you can contribute up to $500 towards the purchase of a car that costs more than our maximum of $3,000.