REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program.
1. We can help with:
A. Past due rent or first month's rent.
You must show, through documentation, that your income will be enough to cover future rent and all you other monthly expenses. We can't accept that you hope to get get a job or you have applied for benefits or that you have a job offer. We can only consider what you are receiving right now.
B. Security Deposit: We can only assist with a security deposit if you are either working or you are disabled and receiving disability benefits. You must be able to show why you can't afford the deposit at the present time or can't save for it. We will help up to $500.00 for a security deposit. Do not apply at present if you do not have the remainder owed above $500.00.
We only help in emergency situations so it must be shown that your situation is an emergency. If you are moving from a relative or friend's home or parents home to a new residence it may not be considered an emergency. We will look at everything but we will have to get a detailed answer on the reasons for your moving and why this is now an emergency.
2. The maximum amount we can help with (in total) is $750.00 toward first month's rent or back rent. Do not apply at present if you owe more than $750.00 and you do not have other sources that have committed to paying this additional amount. Reapply in the future if your balance is $750.00 or less.
3. Since State Emergency Relief (SER) may be able to assist you, before applying with us you MUST have an SER response to your CURRENT situation. Information can be found here by clicking here: Michigan SER Assistance. Again, only contact us if you have a response from SER.
4. You must currently be a resident of Wayne or Oakland County and you must be moving to a residence within one of those two counties and we can only accept your Driver's License or State Issued ID for proof.
5. Please do not apply if any of your utility bills are past due. We can't help with rent if your utilities may be shut off because you are behind.
6. Okay, you are almost done. Once you read requirement #7 below then you must send an email with all of the following to Email at Here to Help
You MUST include ALL of the following specific information:
A. Your name, phone number, current address (if you are moving then include the address of what will be your new residence and also your current address) and that you are interested in the Roof Over Head program. Please also answer who referred you to Here to Help or how you found out about us.
B. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page.
C. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the "Requirements for Assistance" for the Roof Over Head program.
D. Please state how much is owed in total and how any amount above our maximum amounts, stated above, will be paid.
E. What was the response of SER? A reply is required. See Requirement #3 above.
F. Please also provide just a couple of sentences as to what has caused your emergency situation, what you need help with (back rent, security deposit or first month's rent) and the amount needed. Please also indicate how you will be able to pay your rent moving forward and why you are unable to pay your rent (or security deposit/move in costs if that is what you are requesting) at the present time. Please state the amount of your monthly income. Just this information only as we are simply seeing if you meet the basic requirements for us to send you an Application.
Do not provide any more information than that which is requested above.
7. Please note, if it is nearer to the end of the month we may require seeing that next month's rent is paid before we can assist.
If all of this is provided, and we feel you meet ALL the Requirements, we will email you the Application questions and list of required documents. Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.
Please note: At times we are swamped with reviewing Applications and cannot accept any more until we are caught up. We will advise you by email if this is one of those times.
Also, make sure you have read in detail Requirement #9 on the Who Can We Help? Page.