REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page and make certain you meet these requirements. If so, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program. Also, look at the Initial Application page to make certain we are receiving Applications at this time. We usually are always open but sometimes we become overwhelmed with current Applications and can't accept more at the present time. The Initial Application page will state if we closed. If it doesn't, we're open.
1. You must be in an emergency situation such as fleeing from a domestic violence situation or coming straight from homelessness or your furnishings were destroyed by fire.
It is impossible for us to help everyone who is moving and simply doesn't have furniture.
We use the government definition of homelessness and have included a summary of that at the bottom of this page. Please make sure you qualify with that definition or we can't help. Staying with friends or relatives may not be sufficient but we will evaluate everything regarding your situation.
Email us any questions regarding whether your situation would qualify you as homeless for our purposes.
2. Please only apply if you can provide proof of your reason for homelessness. For example: domestic violence (legal proceedings, staying at domestic violence shelter etc.) or fire damage (fire report) or homelessness (staying at homeless shelter etc).
3. We can't assist if the furniture needs to be replaced as a result of bed bugs.
4. We can't assist if you are behind on any of your utility bills. If you can show that these bills are being taken care of at the present time then you can apply and this will be something we will take into consideration.
5. We can't assist if all move in costs have not been paid at your new residence.
6. Okay, you are almost done. Once you read requirement #7 below then you must send an email with all of the following to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You MUST include ALL of the following information:
A. Your name, phone number and that you are interested in the Home Sweet Home program.
B. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page.
C. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the above "Requirements for Assistance" for the Home Sweet Home program.
D. Please also provide information regarding why you need help with furniture and what your sources of income are at the present time.
If all of this is provided we will email you the Application questions and list of required documents. Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.
7. Please note we do NOT help with appliances very often, especially washers and dryers, as rentals should have appliances supplied by the landlord or it is rarely an emergency situation (given the presence of laundromats etc). Similarly, we do not have the ability to provide appliances such as stove and refrigerators etc. as the landlord should be supplying those for tenants. If you have a unique reason why you are in need of appliances then provide us an email with that information.
All our furniture is purchased through Al’s Furniture & Appliances in Detroit. The maximum amount is $810.00 (which allows for a mattress, box spring and frame, a couch, a dining room table with two chairs, one lamp and one nightstand. Other items can be substituted if requested).
DEFINITION OF HOMELESSNESS:
A homeless individual is one who is staying at a homeless shelter or non-permanent housing (i.e. rehab center, hospital, certain transitional housing, coming from prison with no housing situation to return to etc.) or is living on the streets or in an abandoned building or a vehicle or in any other unstable situation.
Please note: An individual may be considered to be homeless if they are without a stable home and are staying with a series of friends and/or family members but we will have to receive a lot of information about that situation and determine if it meets our requirement of homelessness. It is difficult for us to supply furniture to everyone who is simply moving into a new residence and leaving the home of family members.