REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program.
1. You must be in an emergency situation such as fleeing from a domestic violence situation or coming straight from homelessness or your furnishings were destroyed by fire.
It is impossible for us to help everyone who is moving and simply doesn't have furniture.
We use the government definition of homelessness and have included a summary of that at the bottom of this page. Please make sure you qualify with that definition or we can't help. Staying with friends or relatives may not be sufficient but we will evaluate everything regarding your situation.
Email us any questions regarding whether your situation would qualify you as homeless for our purposes.
2. Please only apply if you can provide proof of your reason for homelessness. For example: domestic violence (legal proceedings, staying at domestic violence shelter etc.) or fire damage (fire report) or homelessness (staying at homeless shelter etc).
3. We can't assist if the furniture needs to be replaced as a result of bed bugs.
4. We can't assist if you are behind on any of your utility bills and we also can't assist if all move in costs have not been paid at your new residence or for your current rent.
5. Please note we require you to be either earning income from employment or receiving governmental assistance for a disability. Though please see 6. E. below.
6. Okay, you are almost done. Once you read requirement #7 below then you must send an email with all of the following to: Email at Here to Help
You MUST include ALL of the following information:
A. Your name, phone number and that you are interested in the Home Sweet Home program. Please also answer who referred you to Here to Help or how you found out about us.
B. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page.
C. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the above "Requirements for Assistance" for the Home Sweet Home program.
D. Please also provide information regarding why you need help with furniture and what your sources of income are at the present time.
E. Please list all sources of income and if you do not meet Requirement #6 above and are not working or receiving disability benefits then please explain why. Again, this is a requirement but we can receive your explanation and determine if we could gain IRS approval for assistance.
All our furniture is purchased through Al’s Furniture & Appliances in Detroit. The maximum amount is $810.00 (which allows for a mattress, box spring and frame, a couch, a dining room table with two chairs, one lamp and one nightstand. Other items can be substituted if requested).
7. Please note we do NOT help with appliances. Only furniture.
If all of this is provided, and we feel you meet ALL the Requirements, we will email you the Application questions and list of required documents. Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.