REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE:
1. Alright, let us get it out of the way first by saying there are no exception to these requirements. Sorry. Wish we could but we can’t. These are written in stone with no wiggle room at all.
2. Okay, that said, Here to Help Foundation can provide used vehicles to qualified applicants who are currently working 35 or more hours per week (not 34.9 hours, 35 hours).
3. You have to be working at a permanent job (and have been employed there four weeks or longer) and need a vehicle to get to and from employment.
4. You must currently be working and not be off on medical leave from your job or about to go on leave for any reason.
5. The job cannot be self-employment nor can the job be a home health aide employed by the State of Michigan.
6. The pay stubs have to be official, as we have received fraudulent ones in the past. Stubs must contain the total hours, dates the pay stub covers, the pay rate, YTD totals, Social Security, Medicare, deductions etc.
7. The job cannot be temporary, including working for a staffing agency (unless you have received confirmation of subsequent full time/permanent employment).
8. You must be able to show that given your current budget you can't afford to purchase a used vehicle.
9. You must also be able to show that you will have enough net monthly income, after all your bills/expenses are paid, to afford car repairs and car maintenance and car insurance and gasoline etc.
10. Please do not apply at present unless you can establish the ability to pay for all the expenses involved in owning a used vehicle and please just apply with us when you can afford it. Hopefully we will be able to help you then.
11. Okay, you are almost done. Once you read requirement #12 below then, if you believe you meet all the requirements, you must send an email with all of the following to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must include your name, phone number and the name Working Cars for Working People and how many hours per week you work. Also include that you followed ALL the instructions on the Initial Application page and you definitely qualify for our help. Please provide just a couple of sentences regarding your need for help. If all of this is provided we will email or call you soon and then provide the Application questions and list of required documents. Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.
12. The maximum amount of assistance provided is $3000.00. We only purchase our cars through the Volunteers of America (VOA) used vehicle lot (located at 618 East Walton Blvd. in Pontiac). If a used vehicle grant is awarded, VOA requires car insurance at the time the Foundation purchases the vehicle so you can drive the car off the lot. If you can't afford insurance now, just wait until you can before applying.