REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program.
1. You MUST be working at least 35 hours per week and have pay stubs from the prior four weeks. The pay stubs must CONTAIN actual hours worked (not vacation time, or sick time etc.) There are no exceptions to this requirement.
2. You have to be working at a permanent job and a vehicle is needed to get to and from employment.
3. Please do not apply if you have another working vehicle available to you at present. Though if your current car is about to stop working and is not worth the cost of repair then please let us know. If we offer an Application, we will need to see an estimate of cost to repair from a licensed repair shop.
4. You must currently be working and cannot be off on medical leave from your job or about to go on leave for any reason.
5. A. The job cannot be self-employment or as an independent contractor.
B. The job cannot be as a home health aide who is employed by the State of Michigan.
C. The employer cannot be Uber of Lyft or other employers that have specific requirements/inspections for the type of vehicle that may be used.
6. The pay stubs MUST contain your name, the total hours, dates the pay stub covers, the pay rate, YTD totals, pay check deductions (Social Security, Medicare, State Income Tax, Federal Income Tax) etc. Unfortunately, we have received fraudulent pay stubs in the past so we need this information to assist in verifying the pay stub.
7. The job cannot be temporary or seasonal, including working for a staffing agency. We know that some temporary staffing positions lead to permanent employment, but please only apply when the job becomes permanent and NOT when it is still temporary.
8. You must be able to show that you have enough net monthly income to afford a used vehicle. It must be your income at the present time from employment wages (not governmental assistance or plasma donations etc).
We can't help if you believe a vehicle would allow you to work more hours or overtime or get a second job and earn more income. It is only what you are currently earning by way of income.
Also, you must show that your utility bills, rent etc. are not behind in payment. We must see you could afford the costs associated with owning a used vehicle and if you are behind in any of those bills please do not apply at the present time.
Car expenses would include:
A. Gas - this will be a minimum of about $70.00 per month just driving 15 miles per day. Most people drive much more than this per day and the anticipated cost is much higher.
B. $100.00 each month to go toward your savings each month for future car repairs or maintenance or to go toward those repair/maintenance costs that you had to pay to repair the car for that particular month.
C. Car insurance - In Detroit, it usually ranges from $280-$310 per month. Your driving record, your age, whether you have had insurance recently and where you live will determine your insurance cost. If you have any questions regarding how much insurance will cost you then have an insurance company give you an estimate for insurance on a 2003 Buick Century with Vehicle Identification Number: 2G4WS52J931262918. This will give you the general cost of insurance for the type of vehicle we may provide to you.
There is also the cost for an annual license, registration fees etc.
D. You have to show that you are independent and living on your own and fully paying ALL routine living expenses/bills. We can't assist if you are living at home or with friends or renting room from others and your name is not on the lease and all other monthly bills (DTE etc). Similarly, you can't be receiving state or federal assistance with your rent as that amount will change in the future depending on your income. Again, you must be able to show that you are completely independent and fully living on your own and can afford to pay all your monthly bills, without help, and will also be able to also afford the costs associated with owning a used vehicle. We will require a copy of your current rental lease or mortgage agreement.
E. Please be aware that the main reason car requests are denied is due to lack of adequate monthly income. If you are working in the range of minimum wage then we will likely not be able to assist you as this rate will not allow one to afford the costs associated with a used vehicle.
9. Lastly, you cannot be living a close distance to work where your commute is within walking distance or a short bus ride. Secondly, if you are currently financing a car that you can longer afford we need to see that the payments you still owe on that vehicle have been completely resolved. We can't provide a used vehicle to if you currently owe money on another vehicle. If the car has been repossessed you still owe on the remainder of the contract.
10. PLEASE SEND US, BY EMAIL, THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS AND WE WILL BE BACK IN TOUCH. ONLY ANSWER THE FOLLOWING. NOTHING MORE PLEASE. DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTS OR ATTACHMENTS.
IN YOUR EMAIL YOU MUST TYPE A. AND THEN ANSWER WHAT IS REQUESTED FOR A.
AND THEN THE SAME FOR B. ETC. UNTIL YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL THAT IS REQUESTED FROM A THROUGH G.
EMAIL US BY CLICKING HERE: Here to Help Foundation
A. Please provide the following: name, phone number, complete address, email address, date of birth, who referred you to Here to Help and that you are interested in the Working Cars for Working People program.
B. Please state you have read and you meet ALL of our General Requirements as listed on the Who Can We Help page.
C. Please state that you have read and you meet ALL the above "Requirements for Assistance" for the Working Cars for Working People program.
D. Please answer where you work (address), the name of the company, how many hours per week you work and your net pay (after taxes/deductions) per four weeks or per pay period (indicate that pay period is for a week or for two weeks). Again, this is your NET pay (take home pay).
E. Please state how much you earn per hour of work (hourly rate of pay).
F. Please provide just a couple of sentences regarding why you need help with the purchase of a car. Please include why you are unable to afford to purchase a used vehicle and how you will be able to save each month to pay for car repairs, maintenance, car insurance and gas. Please also answer how your are currently getting to and from work.
G. Lastly, help us establish that you cannot presently afford to purchase a car by telling us the name of the bills/expenses and the specific amounts for of ALL your monthly bills/expenses (for example: rent, food, phone, heat, gas, water, electricity, cable, day care, medical costs, loan payments, toiletries, clothing and ANYTHING else). Again, list the name of each bill and the amount. Include everything BUT current transportation costs. If one or more of your bills is paid not per month but, for example, every six months (like car insurance or a water bill) then let us know the amount and how often it is paid. DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING OUT!
WHAT YOU TELL US WILL HELP US CONFIRM YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO CURRENTLY PURCHASE A CAR WITHOUT OUR HELP. INCLUDE EVERYTHING! YOUR COMPLETE ANSWER WILL ASSIST US IN DETERMINING IF WE CAN SEND YOU AN APPLICATION.
Please note, we are required to run a background check and this will reveal liens and judgements that you owe as well as car ownership/registration etc. at present.
IF YOUR INITIAL INFORMATION ABOVE INDICATES THAT YOU MAY QUALIFY FOR A USED CAR THEN WE WILL EMAIL YOU AN APPLICATION OR WE MAY ASK YOU A FEW MORE QUESTIONS FIRST.
Check your spam/junk folder for our reply as sometimes our emails wind up there.
11. The maximum amount of assistance we provide for the purchase of a used vehicle is $3000.00. We only purchase our cars through the Volunteers of America (VOA) used vehicle lot (located at 618 East Walton Blvd. in Pontiac). There is no loan involved as it is a complete purchase of a used vehicle costing $3,000 or less. That amount covers fees, plate etc. You must be able to afford car insurance, which will be required to drive the vehicle off of the lot at VOA. Please DO NOT apply at the present time if you will be unable to afford this car insurance. If you have some savings you can contribute up to $500 towards the purchase of a car that costs more than our maximum of $3,000.