REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page and make certain you meet these requirements. If so, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program.
IMPORTANT: Also, look at the Initial Application page to make certain we are receiving Applications at this time. Sometimes we become overwhelmed with current Applications and can't accept anymore at that time. The Initial Application page will state if we are closed. If it doesn't, we're open.
1. Alright, let us get it out of the way first by saying there are no exception to these requirements. Sorry. Only apply if you meet all the requirements.
2. You MUST be working at least 35 hours per week and have worked at your job for at least the past four weeks and have pay stubs from the prior four weeks. PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU ARE WORKING AT LEAST THIS MANY HOURS PER WEEK AND FOR AT LEAST FOUR WEEKS. 33 or 34 or 34.9 hours a week is not enough. It must be 35 hours or more and we will eventually request your pay stubs for documentation.
3. You have to be working at a permanent job and a vehicle is needed to get to and from employment.
4. You must currently be working and cannot be off on medical leave from your job or about to go on leave for any reason.
5. The job cannot be self-employment or an independent contractor. Nor can the job be a home health aide employed by the State of Michigan.
6. The pay stubs must contain the total hours, dates the pay stub covers, the pay rate, YTD totals, taxes, Social Security, deductions etc. Unfortunately, we have received fraudulent pay stubs in the past so we need this information to assist in verifying the pay stub.
7. The job cannot be temporary or seasonal, including working for a staffing agency. We know that some temporary staffing positions lead to permanent employment, but please only apply when the job becomes permanent and NOT when it is still temporary.
8. You must be able to show that you have enough net monthly income to afford a used vehicle. It must be your income at the present time. We can't help if you believe a vehicle would allow you work more hours and earn more income.
We will factor in your anticipated car expenses with your other expenses per month to determine if a vehicle is affordable for you based on your present income.
Car expenses would include:
A. Gas - this will be a minimum of about $70.00 per month just driving 15 miles per day. Most people drive much more than this per day and the anticipated cost is much higher.
B. Monthly expenses for repairs and routine maintenance, which will be a minimum of $100.00 per month. This would go towards your savings each month for future repairs or maintenance or go towards those costs that you needed do spend on the car for that particular month.
C. Car insurance - This is unfortunately very expensive in Detroit where it usually ranges from $280-$310 per month. Your driving record, age, whether you have had insurance recently and where you live will determine your insurance cost.
There is also the cost for an annual license, registration fees etc.
Please be aware that the main reason car requests are denied is due to lack of adequate monthly income.
9. You cannot be living a close distance to work, where your commute is within walking distance or a short bus ride.
10. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING: WE PROVIDE A VERY LARGE NUMBER OF USED CARS PER MONTH FOR APPLICANTS BUT HAVE RECEIVED SO MANY CAR APPLICATIONS THIS MONTH THAT WE HAVE ALREADY REACHED OUR MAXIMUM AMOUNT. WE ARE VERY SORRY AS WE KNOW YOU ARE FACING AN EMERGENCY, BUT WE WILL NOT BE GRANTING ANY MORE USED VEHICLE REQUESTS THIS MONTH. RETURN TO THIS PAGE ON THE 1ST OF NEXT MONTH AND THE INFORMATION ON WHAT TO SEND US TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS WILL BE FOUND HERE. AT PRESENT, FEEL FREE TO EMAIL US AND INCLUDE YOUR NAME. WE WILL THEN CONTACT YOU THIS MONTH SHOULD ANOTHER SPOT HAPPEN TO OPEN UP. OTHERWISE, RETURN TO THIS PAGE THE FIRST OF NEXT MONTH.
11. The maximum amount of assistance we provide for the purchase of a used vehicle is $3000.00. We only purchase our cars through the Volunteers of America (VOA) used vehicle lot (located at 618 East Walton Blvd. in Pontiac). There is no loan involved as it is a complete purchase of a used vehicle costing $3,000 or less. That amount covers fees, plate etc. No cost for you at at all however if a used vehicle grant is awarded, car insurance will be required to drive the vehicle off the lot at VOA. Please DO NOT apply at the present time if you will be unable to afford this car insurance.