REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program. Read everything and you will get to the one section that indicates what information to email us now. Read everything on this page before doing anything further.
1. We can only assist with payment on one utility bill and all other utility bills must be up to date. So don't apply now if, for example, you owe on your water bill AND your electric bill. We will ultimately request from you current copies of all utility bills.
2. We are a resource of last resort so please make certain you have first received an answer from State Emergency Relief (SER) or, if DTE related, through DTE's Low Income Self Sufficiency Plan. Their phone number is: 800-477-4747. Additionally, Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency provides utility assistance.
3. The maximum amount we can provide is $500.00.
4. Do not contact us at this time if the total amount you owe is above our $500.00 maximum and you do not have the ability to pay EVERYTHING owed above our maximum at the present time. We pay our maximum amount to bring the total balance to zero.
5. Do not apply, if you are behind in your rent. Our grant would go to waste if we get your utility bill paid off but you are then evicted because you can't get caught up on rent.
6. Please make sure you have read all the Requirements on the Who Can We Help page and including number 9.
7. If you are seeking our assistance with a utility company to get on a payment plan, then unfortunately we won't be able to assist. We can only pay to get the balance to zero and can't provide a grant to get on a payment plan.
8. Again, after our assistance the balance must be zero.
9. If you have any questions regarding any of the Requirements then please email us.
10. PLEASE SEND US, BY EMAIL, THE FOLLOWING ANSWERS AND WE WILL BE BACK IN TOUCH PROMPTLY.
IN YOUR EMAIL YOU MUST TYPE A. AND THEN TYPE YOUR ANSWER FOR WHAT IS REQUESTED FOR A.
AND THEN THE SAME FOR B. ETC. UNTIL YOU HAVE ANSWERED ALL THAT IS REQUESTED FROM A THROUGH H.
IT WORKS BEST TO COPY AND PASTE THE QUESTIONS BELOW INTO AN EMAIL AND THEN ANSWER. EMAIL US BY CLICKING HERE: Here to Help Foundation
You MUST include ALL of the following specific information:
A. Your name, phone number, address, date of birth and answer who referred you to us or how you found out about Here to Help.
B. Please include in your email that you are interested in the Let's Keep the Lights On program.
C. Please confirm you have read and you meet ALL of our General Requirements as listed on the Who Can We Help page.
D. Please confirm you have read and you meet ALL the "Requirements for Assistance" for the Let's Keep the Lights On program.
E. Please provide just a couple of sentences regarding why you can't pay your utility bill at the present time, how much is owed currently and explain how you will be able to afford to pay your bill in the future. Please also provide your account number for your utility bill if it is DTE.
F. Please state the reply from State Emergency Relief (SER) and Wayne Metro and if a DTE bill, what was DTE's reply via their Assistance Programs.
Please also state how anything owed about our $500.00 maximum is being paid by you or other sources.
G. Please state the amount of your net monthly income (after taxes, deductions etc.) and whether that comes from wages or from governmental benefits. If working, where do you work?
H. Lastly, please also list the name of each of your monthly expenses/bills AND the amount of each expense per month (for example: rent, food, phone, heat, gas, water, electricity, cable, transportation costs, day care, medical costs, loan payments, toiletries, clothing etc.) DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING OUT! PROVIDE THE TOTAL AMOUNT FOR EVERYTHING. If one or more of your bills is paid not per month but, for example, every six months (like car insurance or a water bill) then let us know the amount and how often it is paid. If you receive benefits to cover any of your expenses (for example food benefits) then please indicate that amount and how much you also pay for that expense each month.
Please only send the above information.
If all of this is provided, and we feel you meet ALL the Requirements, we will email you a few more questions and list of required documents. Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.
Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.