REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
PLEASE MAKE CERTAIN YOU READ OUR HOME PAGE (CLICK HERE) WHICH DISCUSSES THAT WE ARE NOW ONLY ASSISTING THOSE WHO ARE RETURNING FROM PRISON. DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER IF YOU ARE NOT COMING BACK FROM PRISON.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program. Read everything below and you will get to the one section that indicates what information to email us.
1. You must be in an emergency situation such as fleeing from a domestic violence situation (and having to leave your furniture behind) or coming from homelessness, or prison or your furnishings were destroyed by fire.
2. We use the government definition of homelessness and have included a summary of that at the bottom of this page.
3. Any adult who, along with you, will be living in the apartment or house must qualify for our assistance.
4. Please only apply if you can provide proof of your reason for homelessness. For example: domestic violence (legal proceedings, staying at domestic violence shelter etc.) or fire damage (fire report) or homelessness (staying at homeless shelter etc).
5. We are prohibited from assisting if furniture needs to be replaced as a result of bed bugs, roaches, rodents or mold. For mold, if you are/were renting an apartment then your landlord is responsible for your furniture damage from mold.
6. We can't assist if you are behind on any of your utility bills, including any past due bill from a prior residence.
7. All move in costs/rent/security deposit must have been paid to the landlord and your name must be on the lease and you must be the one paying the expenses for the residence. If you have a roommate, they also must qualify for this program. If you are to receive rental assistance (i.e. Section 8) , please do not apply until such time as the residence has been approved by the resource that will be providing you rental assistance. Only apply after the residence has passed inspection.
8. Please note Requirement #8 on the Who Can We Help? page. We require you to be either earning income from employment or receiving state or federal assistance for a disability of yours (not for your child).
9. Please note we do not help with appliances.
10. If you meet the above requirements for assistance and also those on the Who Can We Help? page, then please fill out your information by clicking here: Initial Application.
If you have any questions then just email us at email@example.com. We look forward to reading your Application and doing all we can to assist you.
All our furniture is new and purchased and delivered through Alís Furniture & Appliances in Detroit. The maximum amount is $1085.00 which allows for one full mattress, box spring and frame, a couch, a dining room table with two chairs, a nightstand and one lamp. Other items can be substituted if requested.
If we feel you meet ALL the Requirements, we will email you a few more questions and list of required documents. Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.
DEFINITION OF HOMELESSNESS:
A homeless individual is one who is staying at a homeless shelter or non-permanent housing (i.e. rehab center, hospital, certain transitional housing, coming from prison with no housing situation to return to etc.) or is living on the streets or in an abandoned building or a vehicle or in any other unstable situation.
Please note: An individual may be considered to be homeless if they are without a stable home and are staying with a series of friends and/or family members but we will have to receive information about that situation and determine if it meets our requirement of homelessness. It is difficult for us to supply furniture to everyone who is simply moving into a new residence and leaving the home of family members.