REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program. Read everything below and you will get to the one section that indicates what information to email us now. Do not email anything UNLESS it is specifically asked for! Read everything on this page before doing anything further.
1. You must be in an emergency situation such as fleeing from a domestic violence situation or coming straight from homelessness or your furnishings were destroyed by fire.
2. We use the government definition of homelessness and have included a summary of that at the bottom of this page. Please make sure you qualify with that definition or we can't help. Staying with friends or relatives may not be sufficient but we will evaluate everything regarding your situation.
3. Email us any questions regarding whether your situation would qualify you as homeless for our purposes.
4. Please only apply if you can provide proof of your reason for homelessness. For example: domestic violence (legal proceedings, staying at domestic violence shelter etc.) or fire damage (fire report) or homelessness (staying at homeless shelter etc).
5. We can't assist if the furniture needs to be replaced as a result of bed bugs.
6. We can't assist if you are behind on any of your utility bills.
7. We also can't assist if all move in costs have not been paid at your new residence or for your current rent.
8. Please note we require you to be either earning income from employment or receiving state or federal assistance for a disability. Though please see 10E below.
9. Please note we do NOT help with appliances. Only furniture.
10. Okay, you are almost done. Please send an email with only the following information to: Email at Here to Help
You MUST include ALL of the following information:
A. Your name, phone number, address and that you are interested in the Home Sweet Home program. Please also answer who referred you to Here to Help or how you found out about us.
B. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page.
C. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the above "Requirements for Assistance" for the Home Sweet Home program.
D. Please also provide information regarding why you need help with furniture and why you cannot afford to purchase your own furniture.
E. Please list all sources of income for your entire household and the specific amounts received. Please state where that income comes from (employment or disability or other governmental benefits etc.) Also, please note Requirement #5 above as you must be working or receiving disability benefits for yourself (not on behalf of your children) then please do not apply.
F. Please state much is your rent (or how much it will be when you move in) and how will that total amount rent be paid for each month (wages or disability or rent subsidy etc.).
G. Please list the amounts and names of ALL your monthly bills/expenses that you pay for each month (for example: rent, food, phone, heat, gas, water, electricity, cable, day care, medical costs, loan payments, toiletries, clothing etc.) DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING! If you receive benefits to cover any of your expenses (for example food benefits) then please indicate that information.
All our furniture is purchased through Alís Furniture & Appliances in Detroit. The maximum amount is $800.00 (which allows for a mattress, box spring and frame, a couch, a dining room table with two chairs, one lamp and one nightstand. Other items can be substituted if requested).
If all of this is provided, and we feel you meet ALL the Requirements, we will email you the Application questions and list of required documents. Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.
Please note: At times we are swamped with reviewing Applications and cannot accept any more until we are caught up. We will advise you by email if this is one of those times.
Also, make sure you have read in detail Requirement #9 on the Who Can We Help? Page.
DEFINITION OF HOMELESSNESS:
A homeless individual is one who is staying at a homeless shelter or non-permanent housing (i.e. rehab center, hospital, certain transitional housing, coming from prison with no housing situation to return to etc.) or is living on the streets or in an abandoned building or a vehicle or in any other unstable situation.
Please note: An individual may be considered to be homeless if they are without a stable home and are staying with a series of friends and/or family members but we will have to receive a lot of information about that situation and determine if it meets our requirement of homelessness. It is difficult for us to supply furniture to everyone who is simply moving into a new residence and leaving the home of family members.