REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW:
First read ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page. You MUST meet these requirements.
If you do, then read the specific requirements below to make sure you qualify for this program. Read everything and you will get to the one section that indicates what information to email us now. Do not send anything else but that information. Read everything on this page!
1. We can only assist with payment on one utility bill and all other utility bills must be up to date. So don't apply now if you have other utility bills that are currently behind in payment.
2. We are a resource of last resort so you should make certain you have sought assistance with DTE bills through their Low Income Self Sufficiency Plan. Click the link below for information: Low Income Self Sufficiency Plan
3. The maximum amount we can provide is $500.00. Only apply now if you have sources to pay the total amount you owe above our $500.00 maximum.
4. Again, and yes we’re saying it twice for emphasis, we are prohibited from assisting with a utility bill if other utilities are behind as well (for example, we can't help with DTE bill if water bill is delinquent). We will request copies of your other bills so make sure on this requirement.
5. We also cannot provide assistance if you are behind in your rent or mortgage. Also, you must have a reply from State Emergency Relief (SER), which may be of assistance with utilities.
6. Please now send an email with all of the following to: Email at Here to Help
You MUST include ALL of the following specific information:
A. Your name, phone number and that you are interested in the Let's Keep the Lights On program. Please also answer who referred you to Here to Help or how you found out about us.
B. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the "General Requirements for Help" on the Who Can We Help page.
C. You must write that you have read and you meet ALL the "Requirements for Assistance" for the Let's Keep the Lights On program.
D. Please also provide just a couple of sentences regarding why you can't pay your utility bill at the present time, how much is owed and explain how you will be able to afford to pay your bill in the future. Please also state the reply from State Emergency Relief (SER) and how anything owed about our $500.00 maximum is being paid by you or other sources.
E. Lastly, please state the amount of your net monthly income (after taxes, deductions etc.) and whether that comes from wages or governmental benefits. Please also state the amount of your monthly expenses (for example: rent, food, phone, heat, gas, water, electricity, cable, day care, medical costs, loan payments, toiletries, clothing etc.) DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING OUT!
If all of this is provided, and we feel you meet ALL the Requirements, we will email you the Application questions and list of required documents. Check your spam/junk folder on your email as sometimes our emails wind up there.
Please note: At times we are swamped with reviewing Applications and cannot accept any more until we are caught up. We will advise you by email if this is one of those times.
Also, make sure you have read in detail Requirement #9 on the Who Can We Help? Page.